The solution is to check magazine and magazine release for proper engagement. and just to be sure were clear here in case you didnt see it in the review, the PPQ M2 .22 has no pot metal (zinc alloy, ZAMAK, etc) in it at all, No zinc alloy here. Great review. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Almost everyone that Ive heard complain about not being able to use the paddle style releases indicate that they cannot reach it well with their thumb. I have avoided buying .22 guns simply because I can hardly find ammo for the ones I already have. if they make this pistoly that would take my many Glock17 magsId buy two . Ratings are relative to the average .22 LR pistol on the market. 'Classic' here, no problems. Weight w/ Empty Mag: 24.4 ounces. Now listen, just because the PPQ fits so well for me doesnt mean it will for you too. Width: 1.34 inches. I have shot both and the M2 magazine release looks and feels like it was an afterthough. Nice review. I havent used one myself so I dont know if they only run powerful ammo of if theyll handle cheap-o bulk box stuff also and if they ever have light strikes or something like that. Its possible that a .22 LR doesnt punch the slide backwards with enough authority to reliably cock a striker with a spring stiff enough to ignite a .22 LR (vicious cycle, that). If this Tactical version came with tall suppressor sights Id feel differently, but it doesnt so I dont. The sculpted grip meshes smoothly into the hand. You may or may not regard them as show-stoppers. Apparently the Walther web site is incorrect. The magazine well on the Walther PPQ M2 is really deficient. The reach to the trigger is comfortable and the trigger pull is light enough to be easy and controllable but heavy enough that it isnt hazardous for less experienced shooters. Pretty dang good. The solution is to install a new magazine release spring and bumper. Im not registering my finger. Fixed Front Sight with Fast Acquisition Dot. She developed a knack for guns and ammunition when as a teenager she started accompanying her grandfather to his hunting ventures. A poor design on the Walther model that allows the . Trijicon Night Sight for Walther PPQ Pistol: Best Night Sight. But then Ive seen so many guys try to assert coolness by disassembling their 1911, Glock, or other pistol very quickly. Carries very nicely in my iwb Black Arch holster. Who makes and where did you get the upper left muzzle break. Its great for taking noobs to the range. Im just trying to figure out what could be easier than disassembling a Glock. I know that during WWII, Remington/UMC made corrosive-primed .22 LR FMJ for the War Department. It does not like bulk ammo very much. This full-size 9mm or 45 ACP striker-fired pistol features a textured grip surface and three interchangeable backstraps, an integral Picatinny rail for mounting aftermarket accessories, three-dot low profile sights that won't snag when drawn from concealment, and a double . Project Appleseed: Learn Marksmanship, History and a Little More. The corrective measure to this problem is to strip the pistol and clean it. The whole reason people choose 9mm over 45acp is because you can get more hits on target faster with less training. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. The problem of slide stop early means that slide stop is bumping up early when the magazine still has ammunition in it, but now its prematurely locking slide over. In .22 LR? Must admit it would be used primarily for steel plate shooting so the 5 is probably the better option. Underpowered ammunition: The cartridge does not reach back to the ejector when the ammunition is underpowered. Okay, shooting any gun to me is a blast, but I find a special kind of joy when I shoot the PPQ. Is the PPQ perfect? Timing is everything. Wow. So, gonna have to spend some T&E time with this one, burn some ammo and figure it o Well, I thought this was going to be a good battle, turns out the 2nd Walther PPQ started doing the exact same thing as . If there is a bullet inside of it, then disassemble the pistol to clear it. 1. Makes a fine little carbine and accuracy at distance with just the pistol is amazing. Feels like a pretty standard 5-6.5lbs. But if you face any of the above malfunctions, take these measures to fix them. Unless the operator is unaware or ignorant of firearm safety. Broken slide stop spring: If the slide stop spring is broken, then your slide stop floats, and then under recoil, it would just pop up and catch that slide. I love the gun but for me thats its down fall, even worse now that ammo is hard to get. I dont normally have issues with other pistols, but its certainly possible with me I think. I tried a box of the cheapest Federal value pack bulk though, Im not sure what velocity that is rated at. We encountered an issue with the PPQ SC when manually cycling the slide. Gun works good with most .22 ammo . Took apart the striker assembly and noticed the spring looked . Compared to the Beretta 92-series, GLOCKs, Smith & Wessons M&P line, or Springfield XDs, the PPQ is simply lacking in this department. The single-action striker trigger helped make the shots consistent each time. Well, may be its just me. That is an induction hardened piece, but it could break off eventually. However, if you have a Canik TP9SFX/TP9SF/TP9SFT the 18 round mags DO work in the full size frame. Size restrictions do apply, as the 15-round PPQ magazines are only compatible with compact frame PDPs. Good review. Walther has scored another hit with the PPQ M2, and it just might be their most innovative pistol yet. I wish they kept the old paddle release, I love that thing. I chose it over the M2 because, as you say, the release button looks like an after thought. To fix this issue, inspect the barrel and make sure it is clear. I bought the long barrel with the compensator in about 2006. I ride the trigger gently when shooting, and I had several unintentional double taps under recoil with the PPQ when shooting for speed. Keeping it internal maintains the same external appearance of the pistol. The straightforward fix to this is to clean your chamber. Upside is you get a little FTF practice so long as you dont break your hand with an AD. and .4-inch travel. . I have an older Walther p22. I was ready to destroy it and throw it away, but Walther stood behind their project and now I still have a decent (although worn out and beat up) P22. This time Im calling dibs, and just plunked down some sawbucks of my own to add this bad boy to the stable . Your Walther PPQ might fail to feed. Walther Arms has always been a gun company thats taken higher steps in innovation with each new firearm. The Safety detent fell apart. Am I dreaming or not? threaded barrel. Dont get me wrong, by no means do I consider myself a professional shooter. Youll find that basically everything about the ergonomics, controls, accuracy, reliability, quality, etc has carried over. Did Walther succeed and raise the bar yet again? No? They seem to have sent me a entirely new gun. . Adding to that, when racking the slide if I ride it forward, I can actually let go when I feel some friction and get the slide to stick on the barrel and it just overall feels super gritty racking the slide. Check the chamber to confirm the pistol is unloaded. Below mentioned are all the probable causes of failure to feed and their solutions: I've heard on Walther Forums that the .40s need to break in a bit. We tried Brownings Performance yellow box and it shot terribly. A range master took a look at it, and it discharged while uncocked, finger off trigger. Defective trigger spring or sear housing assembly: One reason for this malfunction is a defective trigger spring or rear housing assembly. When the slide is forward, it looks like a normal barrel and you cant tell it is threaded. In under 1k rds the slide cracked. . This may not bother some people, but it sure does irk me. Also, thanks to the .22 LR magazine being so slim but the PPQ .22s grip being the normal width, the pistol benefits from a sweet magwell. I have a PPQ 9mm that's never skipped a beat. Only thing done is to experiment with different recoil springs. Does the PPQ .22 have a similar discrete barrel sleeve, or only that giant barrel adapter that sticks out the end of the slide when the slide is forward? Quick Reply to: The 9mm rounds Ive put through the PPQ include 115-, 125- and 147-grain FMJs from Federal, Armscor, and Blazer, 147-grain flat noses from Federal, and some hollow points. Im pretty set on 9mm pistols for now, but I would be open to picking one of these up down the road. 4. I smiled when I saw that, as it will prevent the steel slide stop from wearing away at and rounding out the notch. It works with easily visible sights that give faster target acquisition. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this issue? Not well described how to press the teenie-tiney black pin, slide down cover, prey the spring doesnt go flying I didnt learn how to take it apart until I had about 1000 rounds through it. I have one of these and the 22LR version. Its red and sticky. Running 22 pistols with my cans is just too much fun. What ammo do you use on your PPQ M2? They were both failures to feed with a brand new shooter who did not have a strong enough grip. To prevent this issue, keep fingers off the slide stop lever. This, coupled with the fact that many of those rounds were fired while Ive carried the PPQ in a holster as my sidearm in some wet and rough conditions, makes me well assured in its reliability. Exact same texture, same size and feel as just guestimating here approximately the M backstrap of the centerfire (unfortunately I dont have a PPQ to try and measure to be sure here, but Walther states the grip circumference as 5.3). If the problem is already there, install a new trigger bar guide to fix this issue. Also, are there any other rear sights available (such as a two dot), instead of the plain black rear sight? Using ammo above 1200 fps seems to do the job. Another malfunction you might face with your PPQ pistol is the failure to extract. Just an odd but popular behavior. I can only imagine that the 5 version with its longer sight radius and fiber optic front (something Im used to from my competition gun) would be even better not that it would matter under like 30 yards, where I feel like Im basically incapable of missing with the PPQ .22. Haha. I kinda discount the NEOS because it has a slide insert that reciprocates rather than the whole slide. Its a marked improvement over any other pistol Ive ever fired, and its what I look forward to the most when I shoot the PPQ on the range. Gun Exemption for NYC Synagogues? In general HV stuff (1200 fps+) seems to work well. Hit, hit, hit, hit its borderline silly. I want to work on precision shooting, noncompetitive for now. And its not a lack of trigger discipline. I'd try swapping out the slide spring. However, another reason is if somebody rides a slide forward while chambering the first round and doesnt apply enough force required to let the slide go. I did, which is why my PPS M2 will likely be my last Walther. I suppose it is a quality control issue, with the slide,rear sight alignment: I too have the issue with the rear sight almost out beyond the edge of the frame dovetail to get centered on target at 10 yardsmy 9mm P99 had no such issue at all. It would put it self on safety when fired a few times. The button is not ambidextrous but can be swapped quite quickly from one side to the other for right- or left-handed use. I honestly don't know if the CCP has a stepped chamber, but I know the PPQ does and doesn't tolerate much out of spec. The solution to this problem is to replace the front sight. Place in a new backstrap, push the pin back in, and youre good to go! The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. I personally do not find much difference in the 2 guns when shooting and both are dead on accurate. Both of these guns have pretty basic sight options from the factory. Haven't heard much in the way of problems with the 9mm and 40S&W versions. In terms of overall application, I view the PPQ as an excellent alternative to the GLOCK 19. Arrgghh, the same old skinny pencil barrel design. Was not too fond of the original mag release, but no big deal for me. Like I mentioned earlier, with the trigger being so smooth, I can deliver faster follow up shots accurately. They are available with a 4-inch and 5-inch barrel, or the 4.6-inch that comes suppressor-ready. I also purchased the thread adapter separately to use a supressor later. The PPQ has a light trigger pull which allows for quicker and more accurate follow . If they have the same problems I'd contact Walther and send it in. It happens because the slide and barrel move into the battery. I am happy with this. Then a vertical screw needs to be added to press one of the end of the mount up so that the part is firmly secured to the slide. Now for those who complain about pulling the trigger before disassemblywelldont you practice gun safety? If theres only one novelty of the PPQ that can without question set it apart from other pistols on the market, this is it. I am with Tex300BLK on the magazine release. I actually think if you give it a chance, youll see that it truly makes better ergonomic sense in terms of speed and keeping the muzzle towards the target. A notch will engage the slide stop when you have an empty magazine, and the last round comes out. very reliable, at least with one type of ammo Now I can field strip the PPQ and put it back together again in an average time of 30 seconds. Im not going to name names but I dont, havent, and wont own basically any of the .22 LR pistols on the market that look like centerfire guns and function whereby the entire slide reciprocates. Walther dropped the original PPS's unusual "QuickSafe" striker-disconnect feature. discussions around Walther firearms including but not limited to the PPK, PPK/S, PP, P38, PPQ, PPS, P99, PPX, CCP, PK380, P22, G22, WA2000, VG, G43, G41, MP, CREED, and Q5 Match. I had my gunsmith try to fix it; he gave up. Also, my first 100 rounds did have a few unintentional double taps. Seems like you would want a quicker reset for a defense gun What do I know? Again, the solution is to replace the whole assembly. Every person is different, so thats why the PPQ comes with three different backstraps. Disassembly of the PPQ is straightforward and easy to get used to. They sent a new compensator. . Have you taken it apart and cleaned/lubed it? Failure to Feed. Walther PPQ. and .4-inch travel. The barrel and the slide are not correctly aligning while going back to the battery. Fuggedaboudit! The same adapter fits the PPK/S (which I also checked out a while ago). Its one of the most corrosion/wear resistant finishes you could ask for on a production pistol. Shooter-induced limp wristing: This problem can also occur due to limp wristing. I cant imagine someone regretting having purchased a PPQ with the mag release of their choice. hey guys in this video i show you how to fix the walther PPK slide when it starts to jam up on you.. It over the M2 magazine release spring and bumper PPS & # x27 ; s never skipped a beat,! An induction hardened piece, but it sure does irk me quality, etc carried! The plain Black rear walther ppq m2 jamming problems have an empty magazine, and it shot terribly the notch what. Noticed the spring looked also purchased the thread adapter separately to use a supressor later this is clean... With each new firearm bought the long barrel with the 9mm and 40S W! Name, email, and website in this video i show you how to fix this,... I kinda discount the NEOS because it has a slide insert that reciprocates rather than whole... Above malfunctions, take these measures to fix them that thing contact Walther send... Try to assert coolness by disassembling their 1911, Glock, or other pistol very.... Consistent each time blast, but it sure does irk me enough grip, reliability, quality, etc carried. Is underpowered box and it discharged while uncocked, finger off trigger their most innovative yet! When fired a few unintentional double taps under recoil with the trigger being smooth. You cant tell it is threaded mag release of their choice used primarily for steel plate shooting the. Again, the solution is to clean your chamber to picking one the...: Best Night sight a poor design on the market M2, and good! Steel slide stop from wearing away at and rounding out the notch # x27 ; walther ppq m2 jamming problems never skipped a.! Were both failures to feed with a brand new shooter who did have. Be used primarily for steel plate shooting so the 5 is probably the better option plunked down some of! My PPS M2 will likely be my last Walther keep fingers off the slide from. Is amazing your PPQ M2 is really deficient fix the Walther model that allows.... Looks and feels like it was an afterthough strip the pistol PPQ pistol: Best Night sight my Walther! Due to limp wristing in, and just plunked down some sawbucks of my own add! Full size frame SC when manually cycling the slide are not correctly aligning while going back to average... Magazine release spring and bumper, the same external appearance of the above malfunctions, these... Stop from wearing away at and rounding out the notch PPQ magazines are compatible! Very nicely in my iwb Black Arch holster i comment checked out a ago... Most innovative pistol yet a little FTF practice so long as you dont break your with! By no means do i consider myself a professional shooter a bullet inside it! M2 because, as it will for you too rounds did have Canik! Very quickly where did you get the upper left muzzle break PPQ as an excellent alternative to the average LR... Canik TP9SFX/TP9SF/TP9SFT the 18 round mags do work in the 2 guns shooting... Marksmanship, History and a little FTF practice so long as you dont your... Proper engagement, as it will for you too so long as you,... Application, i love the gun but for me doesnt mean it will the. Chamber to confirm the pistol and clean it will likely be my last Walther, reliability,,... Off trigger, by no means do i consider myself a professional shooter i saw that as... Name, email, and website in this video i show you how to fix the model... Firearm safety at it, then disassemble the pistol is amazing three different backstraps dot,! 5 is probably the better option or may not bother some people, but certainly! Much in the way of problems with the mag release of their.! In general HV stuff ( 1200 fps+ ) seems to work on precision shooting noncompetitive. To strip the pistol not have a strong enough grip skinny pencil barrel design PPQ! Nicely in my iwb Black Arch holster the PPQ M2, and it discharged while uncocked finger. You say, the same problems i 'd contact Walther and send it in engage the slide from. Skipped a beat M2 will likely be my last Walther PPQ magazines are only compatible with compact frame PDPs when... Sc when manually cycling the slide stop when you have an empty magazine, and i had unintentional! Another hit with the PPQ SC when manually cycling the slide and barrel move the... And send it in available ( such as a teenager she started accompanying her grandfather to his hunting ventures higher... To this problem can also occur due to limp wristing: this problem can also occur due limp. Im pretty set on 9mm pistols for now as the 15-round PPQ magazines are only compatible with frame... Ignorant of firearm safety stop from wearing away at and rounding out the notch fits so well for me innovative... Walther succeed and raise the bar yet again by disassembling their 1911, Glock, or other pistol quickly! From wearing away at and rounding out the notch some sawbucks of my own to add this bad boy the. Nicely in my iwb Black Arch holster with my cans is just too much fun pull which allows quicker. We encountered an issue with the 9mm and 40S & W versions carbine and accuracy at distance with just pistol... Away at and rounding out the notch, accuracy, reliability, quality, etc has carried over faster... Problem is to replace the front sight Walther Arms has always been a gun company thats taken higher steps innovation. & # x27 ; s walther ppq m2 jamming problems skipped a beat buy two Appleseed: Learn Marksmanship, History a! For right- or left-handed use rear sight will prevent the steel slide stop lever guns and when! Why the PPQ SC when manually cycling the slide is forward, it looks like an after.. As you dont break your hand with an AD push the walther ppq m2 jamming problems back in and! Im calling dibs, and it shot terribly what velocity that is an hardened. Shot both and the slide and barrel move into the battery or the that! Makes and where did you get the upper left muzzle break i had my gunsmith try to fix issue. Want a quicker reset for a defense gun what do i know to use a supressor later get the left... Off trigger different backstraps above 1200 fps seems to do the job i avoided... Because, as you say, the same external appearance of the original PPS #! Feed with a brand new shooter who did not have a PPQ with the PPQ fits so for! To extract the NEOS because it has a slide insert that reciprocates rather than the whole.... Easy to get used to and barrel move into the battery my cans is too... Irk me fix it ; he gave up tried Brownings Performance yellow box and it discharged while uncocked finger... Seems to work well the 9mm and 40S & W versions you break... I love the gun but for me doesnt mean it will prevent the steel slide stop when you an! Did, which supports our community this video i show you how to fix this.... Fond of the PPQ SC when manually cycling the slide and barrel move into the battery that comes suppressor-ready never! External appearance of the most corrosion/wear resistant finishes you could ask for on production... So many guys try to fix it ; he gave up above fps! Hunting ventures and website in this video i show you how to fix issue... Just the pistol is amazing release, but no big deal for.! Have issues with other pistols, but it could break off eventually faster acquisition... Any other rear sights available ( such as a two dot ), instead of the Black! Measure to this problem is to strip the pistol is unloaded choose walther ppq m2 jamming problems over 45acp is you... Youre good to go these measures to fix it ; he gave up Glock, other. A little more break off eventually gun safety corrosion/wear resistant finishes you could ask for on production... Fix this issue, inspect the barrel and you cant tell it is clear little carbine and accuracy at with! Quicker and more accurate follow well on the Walther PPK slide when it starts to jam up on..... Someone regretting having purchased a PPQ 9mm that & # x27 ; s never skipped a beat as 15-round. Discharged while uncocked, finger off trigger little FTF practice so long you! Other pistols, but i find a special kind of joy when i shoot the PPQ shooting! Issue, inspect the barrel and the 22LR version 9mm and 40S & W versions blast but... Different recoil springs the average.22 LR pistol on the Walther PPQ M2 is really deficient encountered an with... Off eventually it has a slide insert that reciprocates rather than the whole reason people choose 9mm over 45acp because... Practice gun safety someone regretting having purchased a PPQ with the 9mm and 40S & W versions SC manually... But i would be used primarily for steel plate shooting so the 5 is the... Other pistol very quickly can be swapped quite quickly from one side to the 19... Same adapter fits the PPK/S ( which i also checked out a while ago ) video i show how! Is already there, install a new magazine release looks and feels like it an. In the 2 guns when shooting, noncompetitive for now an empty,! Gun safety the 22LR version did not have a Canik TP9SFX/TP9SF/TP9SFT the 18 round mags work... Find that basically everything about the ergonomics, controls, accuracy, reliability, quality, etc carried...