Did this receipe in the instant pot for 15 min and slow release for 20. Hope the snow theyre predicting for the weekend becomes a reality this would be so perfect to have simmering on the back of the stove! Bring 8 cups of water and a ham bone to boil and then simmer covered 1-3 hours. Saving this recipe to use with my leftover ham from Easter. They have a soft, fluffy texture thats perfect for eating alongside a hearty soup like this one. Hope you didnt get too much snow and feel free to send some down here to Virginia. Note: You can always add more water later if you like ham and beans with extra broth. The best side dishes to serve with ham and bean soup. I dont know about you, but Im always up for a sweet and savory combo. You are so welcome and I'm so glad to hear it. Bacon, garlic, and cheddar cheese make this a heavenly side for any ham dish. Braised collard greens. One of my favorite soups! No changes necessary." Add NAVY BEANS, HAM BONE, ONION, CELERY, GARLIC, THYME, SALT, and BLACK PEPPER to a slow cooker. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING. Choose your favorite recipe from the list of options. How would this be in a slow cooker and how would it be best to cook need a idea, Hi Gerald. It's so Southern and so crave worthy! The foam comes from meat proteins and may have a bitter taste. Thanks. I love a good cold winter, and a hot, hearty bowl of soup! Blessings to you and your family. Crazy weather! Pumpkin dinner rolls. It was amazing didnt change anything. Fix again. My mom would make it for my birthday, and I always looked 2. There are lots of other ways to serve up ham and beans thatll give your meal a unique twist. Thank you so much for commenting and letting me know you like our recipes. having to download some advertisement. In fact, the entire dish is indigenous to the Americas from the pinto beans to the cornmeal. Bring the mixture to a boil. You are making me hungry Tricia! You dont need to add anything until the end. 8 BEST Side Dishes, What to Serve with Mini Chicken Pot Pies? Cook for a minute or two, then turn off the stove top. Hey there! Hi Lori. Great tips Sharron. Set the slow cooker on LOW heat for 6 hours. Add the beans, bone, thyme, salt, pepper, and 6 cups of water to the pot. Have a wonderful weekend! Besides bacon and eggs, the only other dish I remember my dad making was bean soup! Theyll add sharpness to your coleslaw while also giving it a more complex flavor. If you dont plan to add meat, then I would use it. Serve your pinto beans on the side. Set the slow cooker on LOW heat for 6 hours. There are many brands of sweet tea you can get at the store, but I prefer to make mine at home. They also make an excellent accompaniment to hearty soups. This is just the kind of soup Im craving, so Ill have to hunt down a ham bone at the supermarket, this looks too good to miss! Youll have an excellent meal in just 15 minutes! Im a total soup fan, and this recipe needs to join my personal recipe booklet. You can also try adding jalapenos or cilantro to the biscuit dough for a twist on classic biscuits. The best part about biscuits is how versatile they are you can add anything from dried fruit such as cranberries or raisins to chocolate chips when you make your dough. Happy New Year!!! ), a bay leaf, garlic, onions, and some thyme. WebIt also goes well with chilis and stews that contain beans or legumes such as lentils or black-eyed peas. The beans should soften within an hour. It made me smile from ear to ear and brought tears to my eyes. Add broth, beans, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaf to a slow cooker. Add enough water to cover the beans by at least 2-inches. Thank you Wanda! Cook the beans with the ham bone. Id suggest reducing the time to 15 18 minutes. Take care and have a great week. I prefer to soak navy beans 8 - 12 hours. When I serve brown beans with ham, I like to go all in by making it in a crock pot. I go extra with the mashed potatoes by adding in cheese and corn and topping them off with a generous amount of bread crumbs. And if the beans werent filling enough, you can also try buttermilk pie, banana pudding, or even something extra sinful and delectable, like mud cake! The directions are the best Ive seen; very explicit! w/ an egg in them..blech. Hi Mary. I am so pleased youre going to try this soup. Here are a few additional pointers for perfect ham and bean soup. Old-fashioned ham and beans recipe made with navy beans and smoked ham using a crockpot or stove for true, homemade comfort. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stove or in the microwave. Yay! Broccoli Salad. TURNED OUT QUITE GOOD. Really good and the spices are spot on I cooked it in the Instapot I put the ham bone in water by itself for 30 minutes. Utterly delicious and ultra-simple to make. The best part about this side dishit's ready in under 30 minutes. There are a number of foods you can pair with ham, but we've narrowed it down to 19 of our best side dishes for ham, whether it's for Christmas dinner or tonight's dinner. Going to make this tomorrow. Meatloaf Not only a pretty presentation with the varied colors, but such a wonderful combination. It turned out great! Roasted Vegetables. Your email address will not be published. Also used the 15-Bean Mix as I enjoy the variety of beans. Just add all your ingredients in the crockpot: shredded ham, pinto beans (no need to soak first! Will. Just make sure you set it on low and dont cook it too long and turn all the beans to mush. Thanks so much , My kind of soup..I have to say I love many soups except sour drop soups.. Pull Apart Garlic Bread. Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us, What to Serve with Pinto Beans (12 Tasty Ideas), What to Serve with Gyros (16 Tasty Ideas), What to Eat with Baked Beans (13 Tasty Side Dishes), What to Serve with Meatballs: 13 Tasty Side Dishes, What to Serve with Burgers: 21 Tasty Side Dishes, What to Serve with Gumbo: 11 Tasty Side Dishes, What to Serve with Beef Wellington (12 Tasty Side Dishes). Theyre full of vitamins and minerals, 2. "I am not too big on veggies, but I crave this dish! Corn fritters. Add the jam bone and bring the soup to a boil. Mac and Cheese? Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are tender. Good to know about the chicken broth sometimes it boils down and more broth is needed. You cant go wrong with this comforting dish! This can help you broaden the appeal of your Ham and Bean Soup to guests who may not have considered eating beans before. If you want a delicious and filling meal, this southern classic is the way to go. Im so frustratedI just used up the last bit of our holiday ham yesterday! If you're looking for more ways to use leftover ham, be sure to check out my Ham and Pea Pasta recipe, too! 2. Step 2. Ive never tried the multi-beans but after seeing this second recipe, I need to give them a try. 8 BEST Side Dishes, What to Serve with Fried Oysters? I love mine homemade, especially in the summer when peaches are in season. Just add all your ingredients in the crockpot: shredded ham, pinto beans (no need to soak first! Bacon, garlic, and cheddar cheese make this a heavenly side for any ham dish. How do you thicken up this soup if you put too much liquid into it in the beginning and it didnt thicken up enough? Enjoy! My mom would make it for my birthday, and I always looked 2. Fruit Pies. Let me know if you have any more questions. Garlic butter rice. WebWhite beans and cornbread go well with a variety of meats, including chicken, turkey, beef, pork and fish. We are compensated for referring traffic. WebIngredients 1 pound dry great Northern beans pound cooked ham, diced 1 small onion, diced cup brown sugar 1 tablespoon dried parsley teaspoon cayenne pepper 6 cups water, or as needed to cover salt and pepper to taste Add the ham bone and submerge in broth. When serving your Ham and Bean Soup, it is important that each guest feel like they are getting the same amount of food (and that no one feels hungry or unsatisfied once dinner is over). Broccoli Salad. Do I need to add any additional seasonings to flavor it? Tomato cucumber lettuce salad. Add enough WATER to cover the beans by 1 inch. You can also use dried lentils or canned black-eyed peas without adjusting cook time. this recipe is so much like my mom's . Absolutely beautiful soup, Tricia! Cook. I so appreciate that as I am one who likes things clearly stated. salt, yellow onion, ham steak, condensed cream of chicken soup and 5 more Bulgur Wheat, Beans, and Mushroom Stuffed Zucchini Anans e Hortel grated Parmesan, olive oil, bulgur wheat, beans, salt, garlic clove and 5 more So dont worry, you can relax the day after your holiday instead of spending it making soup. "Guard this recipe with your life, it's that great. This is now my favorite recipe for it! I think the best thing about having a ham is all the wonderful things you can do with the leftovers! Some believe it is the impurities from the blood. Garlic butter rice. Soak dried beans in the bottom of your crock pot overnight - cover with water according to the package directions. This slow cooker ham and bean soup will make the most of the ham bone and any ham leftovers. Thanks Cecilia soup is the best meal this time of year! The creamy, nutty nature of the dish counteracts itself with the savory flavors in shepherds pie or any form of beef stew. For a creamier casserole, use a potato masher and mash potatoes thoroughly," says recipe creator Tay. Mint Chocolate Brownies Add 1/4 teaspoon of mint extract to the batter before baking and top with chocolate frosting after theyve cooled. The best vegetables to serve with pork are potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, and cabbage. Simmer. If you love hot peppers and cornbread, then you must try this recipe," says recipe creator hotsauce. I agree John I could eat soup for breakfast these days Hope you enjoyed your holiday! 2. That is one great looking bowl of soup and just the way I like it thick and hardy. Remove the bone from the cooker. Discard the gristle and bone before serving. Soak dried beans in the bottom of your crock pot overnight - cover with water according to the package directions. Green chile cornbread goes well with ham and beans because its got a nice sweetness that you can enjoy alongside your soup. Every time we buy a bone-in ham we make this giant pot of soup. Roasted Vegetables. WebWhite beans and cornbread go well with a variety of meats, including chicken, turkey, beef, pork and fish. Cheese toast. My ideal cornbread is perfectly moist, a little sweet, and with some real corn kernel bits! Pinto beans and cornbread is American home cooking from the heart. Sweet Potato Fries. Add shredded ham back to the cooker and serve warm. A bright, healthy, and slightly sweet accompaniment to your ham dinner. But the flavor is fine without. When you cook this soup, do you add the seasoning that is in the 15 Bean soup bag or leave it out? If you dont want to go the vegan route, just add in the other ingredients, too. Add the jam bone and bring the soup to a boil. presoaked 12 hours, Hi Diana, this is not common, but I can empathize from experience. 1. 1. Love these cold soupy days! Let me know if you have more questions Enjoy!! Rinse the beans under cool water and pour them back into the large soup pot along with the lentils. Collard Greens. This can be mixed together ahead of time then thrown in the oven 30 minutes before serving." Wish me luck ! While this humble little bean is most often used in Mexican cuisine, its also earned itself a spot on the table of Southern comfort food favorites. *ATTN: Timing may vary. Green chile cornbread goes well with ham and beans because its got a nice sweetness that you can enjoy alongside your soup. Hi Joann yes the soup will be great even if you dont have a bone. fat removed (feel free to meat on the bone), cut into cubes (if there is enough ham left on the bone no need to add additional chopped ham), with juice (regular diced tomatoes are fine too), Vegetable Soup with Lentils & Seasonal Greens. Pour the soaked beans in a colander and discard the soaking water. You can find this delicious dessert at most upscale restaurants. I do love ham and beans this hearty soup is right up my alley! Pinto beans and cornbread is American home cooking from the heart. Plenty of ham will do the trick. Brownies are like the easiest dessert ever. I share recipes for people who LOVE good food, but want to keep things simple :). If you dont have a leftover ham bone, no worries. This holiday favorite can be enjoyed anytime of year, along with this Honey Glazed Ham. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Theyre full of vitamins and minerals, 2. At EatDelights, you will find creative and delicious recipes that are easy to follow. Good luck! well without a bone but lots of ham? You can get it on the table in 30 minutes or less, making it a great choice for busy families who need to get dinner on the table in a hurry. We'll be making this with every holiday ham from now on! If you prefer to keep your coleslaw dressing on the tart side, you can also opt for rice vinegar instead of white vinegar. *ATTN: Timing may vary. Enjoy! I just happen to have a ham in the fridge and always love a new bean soup recipe! salt, yellow onion, ham steak, condensed cream of chicken soup and 5 more Bulgur Wheat, Beans, and Mushroom Stuffed Zucchini Anans e Hortel grated Parmesan, olive oil, bulgur wheat, beans, salt, garlic clove and 5 more I would like to get just a printed version of the recipe without While the vegetables are cooking trim any meat from the jam bone. All Content Copyright Saving Room For Dessert 2023 Privacy Policy Site Design by Emily White Designs. Thanks Karen! If you want to add flavor to your coleslaw, try adding in some thinly sliced red onions. No the green lentils will not have the same thickening affect as red lentils. Hi Kenny, you can print here. The best vegetables to serve with pork are potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, and cabbage. Sometimes we freeze the ham bone with extra ham so we can make this later. Most recipes only need ketchup, but I like to add in some Worcestershire sauce for extra flavor. White Beans: White beans like cannellini, navy beans and great northern beans taste the best with ham, but you can use what you have one hand. We like the variety of the 14, 15 or even 16 bean soup packages. 5. Roasting is also the best way to get the most out of this vegetable since it brings out its natural sugars so much more when its cooked in the oven. Please let me know if there is every anything you are looking for. . Stir to combine. So the ideal dessert to serve would be apple pie and ice cream. Have a lovely weekend! This is so delicious! Your whole family will thank you. 3. Place ham bone in center if using. This soup turned out very good. I will save this recipe.. Such a classic, delicious and hearty soup! WebLet stand overnight or at least 8 hours. Its light, yet full of flavor. Please see recipe footnote about Add diced ham when the beans about 30 minutes before the beans are done. Sticky Toffee Pudding Theres nothing like warm caramel sauce, moist cake and sweet cream to bring out the savory flavors of your soups. Once the soup has come to a boil, cover it with a loose fitting lid and reduce the heat to a simmer. In fact, the entire dish is indigenous to the Americas from the pinto beans to the cornmeal. Ham and bean soup is a wonderful dish for those days where you want something easy to make with minimal effort. ), Outstanding! Meatloaf A cooked ham bone will last up to a week in the refrigerator, or it can be frozen for several months. 7 BEST Side Dishes, What to Serve with Salmon Patties? Note: You can always add more water later if you like ham and beans with extra broth. This top-rated side dish is a two for one creamy risotto and tender asparagus The lemon gives just the right amount of zest to balance out the richness of ham. 9. When we have a ham for the holidays, we often leave a lot of ham on the bone so oursoup will be on the meaty side. While the soup is cooking, you may need to skim any foam that forms on the top. Great question Christy. Sauteed the chopped veggies and spices in some oil and stirred that into the soup w/ the ham bits and tomatoesturned heat up to sautee, cooked uncovered for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. You will be done in no time. Maybe add a small amount of brown sugar to a bowl of soup and see if that helps? Cut off the meat, shred it, and add it back to the soup. This one is it. Happy New Year! Theyre full of vitamins and minerals, 2. I MADE THIS IN CROCKPOT TODAY USING SMOKED SAUSAGE SINCE I HAD NO HAM. The sweetness of the applesauce cuts through the flavors of ham and beans, making it a flavorful addition to your meal. The sweetness of cranberry walnut bread also complements the savory ham in the soup. I now tend to bake a spiral ham over the long holiday season, too and with this soup to look forward to, you can bet that tradition will continue! What is the foam and why do I discard it? Perfect make-ahead solution. WebIngredients 1 pound dry great Northern beans pound cooked ham, diced 1 small onion, diced cup brown sugar 1 tablespoon dried parsley teaspoon cayenne pepper 6 cups water, or as needed to cover salt and pepper to taste A member of my family cant eat the ham. What a great way to start 2022! Thanks for the great question. 3. The bones splinter easily and can damage their mouth and teeth. Tips & recipes for delicious mealsno matter your skill level, Your email address will not be published. Thanks for trying it and for taking the time to comment! It gives the dish a more hearty texture, too, since you get to chew on some pieces of cornbread while you eat your ham and beans. This is the perfect fall pairing for some Autumn Spice Ham Steak. Enjoy . Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 4-quart soup pot over medium high heat. The possibilities are endless when it comes to side dishes for Ham and Beans so go nuts. This soup is ultra-simple to make! Add ham, ham bone, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, chicken stock, and tomato sauce. Heat 2 tablespoons OLIVE OIL in a 4-quart soup pot over medium-high heat. Mint Chocolate Brownies Add 1/4 teaspoon of mint extract to the batter before baking and top with chocolate frosting after theyve cooled. Happy Wednesday! Brownies are like the easiest dessert ever. Theyll be so delicious and crunchy, youll need a few extra pieces, especially if you add in a dip! They're usually available year-round at most grocery stores in the meat department. But realize that you won't get the benefit of the long slow cook of the ham bone, so I recommend a smoked ham hock. If you dont like it spicy, make sure to add less chile powder and other dried spices to your cornbread batter. But we are wishing for a big one! Ham is perfect for large gatherings, special occasions, potlucks, or simple weeknight meals. Your email address will not be published. The sauce doesnt take too long to whip up, especially if you have all the ingredients prepped ahead of time. Add the carrots. Ham and Bean Soup is a classic dish that many can enjoy, but you can take it to the next level by serving your Ham and Bean Soup with a side dish. Had it last night, and the night before. So glad you enjoyed this delicious soup. Stay safe! Hope this helps! Any ideas what I can add to offset this? Add rice for more weight and serve it with this Tangy Honey Glazed Ham. Sticky Toffee Pudding Theres nothing like warm caramel sauce, moist cake and sweet cream to bring out the savory flavors of your soups. This soup is ultra-simple to make! Your email address will not be published. Pair it with some Not So Sweet Bake Ham and have copies of the recipes on hand. I love food memories Liz. 1. Dont forget the salsa and the sour cream! This is the best ham and bean soup for any cooking level because its just so simple. That way, you can enjoy each spoonful of this hearty soup. So glad you enjoyed thanks for taking the time to leave feedback . It gives the dish a more hearty texture, too, since you get to chew on some pieces of cornbread while you eat your ham and beans. The red lentils breakdown easily which makes the broth creamier and thicker, or less brothy. The lentils breakdown and give this soup a thick, creamy texture. Comment * document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a20ed68d005bce8fff098c97800e20fb" );document.getElementById("c08a1a06c7").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Ugh, left the stove on low setting and thought it would be slow cooked. Add enough water to cover the beans by at least 2-inches. You just need a few simple ingredients, and youre good to go. . Return beans to pot and add ham, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper, cayenne and parsley and water to cover. I love mine extra cheesy and extra gooey with sharp cheddar, gruyere, mozzarella, and parmesan. Add broth, beans, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaf to a slow cooker. Add more water if necessary during cooking time. What if you dont have the 8 hours to soak the beans? This soup looks wonderful, love wonderful variety of beans. You can add some crushed red pepper flakes if you want more zing. Add ham, ham bone, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, chicken stock, and tomato sauce. Fried chicken is a classic dish, and its also a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Finally a recipe that reminds me of my Great Grandmother. You can add if you want, but I dont think it is needed. ), a bay leaf, garlic, onions, and some thyme. Add diced ham when the beans about 30 minutes before the beans are done. Got a late start and have to do it in the crock pot. Green chile cornbread goes well with ham and beans because its got a nice sweetness that you can enjoy alongside your soup. Just slice them up and toss them in a pan with some butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Potatoes are great for helping remove too much salt. Cheese toast. Stir until well blended. They also make an excellent accompaniment to hearty soups. A side serving of collard greens is a good choice for what to serve with ham and bean soup. Please see recipe footnote about 1. Tomato cucumber lettuce salad. It gives the dish a more hearty texture, too, since you get to chew on some pieces of cornbread while you eat your ham and beans. Serve it with these Easy Tasty Ham Steaks with Maple Glaze For 2 for an easy meal that's ready in no time. Theres no need to boil the soup. Yes, please! We are in the deep freeze right now and soup has been on the menu for the past week. Have a happy day! This old fashioned ham and beans recipe pairs tender white beans with smoky ham for true, homemade comfort. Making this todayso looking forward to it. Hope you are ok with all the snow youre having! Though it is not strictly vegetarian, the recipe contains only vegetable oil instead of butter or beef drippings. This way, each guest has more room to enjoy their favorite dish. What Type of Dessert To Serve With Pinto Beans And Cornbread? I'm Kim. 1 pound Great Northern Beans dry 1 ham hock or 1 lb smoked ham 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 onion diced 2 carrots chopped 1 stalk celery chopped 1 bay leaf 1 tablespoon brown sugar 4 cups chicken broth 4 cups water 1 tablespoon fresh parsley optional Instructions Rinse beans in a large pot and remove any debris. You can find this delicious dessert at most upscale restaurants. Sweet Potato Fries. Once the beans and carrots are tender, remove the bone from the pot. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for two hours, stirring occasionally. I unfortunately tossed it out. There are many wonderful things out there to eat with your ham and beans, whether its biscuits or cornbread. Then, place in a large bowl or pot and add enough water to cover the beans by 4 inches because they will double in size. Soak dried beans in the bottom of your crock pot overnight - cover with water according to the package directions. But no worries use a package of navy beans if you cant find the mix. And Happy New Year! Or should I just make it without the added lentils? How long can you keep a ham bone to make soup? 3. Hi Lea Ann! Required fields are marked *. Serve soup with corn muffins, cornbread, or crackers and a dollop of sour cream if desired. Slow Cooker Green Beans, Ham and Potatoes. So glad you enjoyed this soup. Best wishes to you and yours Andrea! Looks so good! I actually made this today and found that 25 minutes is too long in a pressure cooker; the mixture of beans and lintels requires less time. We also participate in affiliate programs with Thrive Market, Shareasale, and other sites.