He should kill Lennie because Lennie cannot control his mind because of his mental problem even he did not mean to do the thing that he have done but George might have the better life If he did not have to take care of Lennie and at last if George did not kill Lennie, Curley will shoot Lennie. George tried to take away Lennies dead mouse saying Come on give it here. Lennie said Its ony a mouse, George. It kinda states Lennie doesnt understand that he is holding a dead mouse. Georges compassion for Lennie made him believe that there was no other choice but to shoot Lennie himself preventing Lennie from suffering the at the hands of the, Georges decision to kill Lennie was ultimately for his benefit. What quotes show that Crooks is lonely in Of Mice and Menby John Steinbeck? Lennie did not mean to kill them on purpose. They both have a particular goal in mind; to have their own piece of land and not have to work anymore.Even though many others would try to argue that George's decision in killing Lennie was the wrong, In Mice of Men by John Steinbeck, George should have killed Lennie. That was his job. There is other options other than immediately killing. What quotes show that Crooks is lonely in Of Mice and Menby John Steinbeck? One of the themes present in the novel was that sometimes, people just have to choose the lesser of two evils. WebJoin the dicussion. Lennie only meant to keep her quiet , not kill her. George had to decide whether or not he would kill Lennie mercifully, or let the rest of the worker's murder him. I'll kill the big son-of-a-bitch myself. WebIn other words, Curley's wife death did not cause Lennie's demise, due to the fact that Lennie would have got himself killed eventually by being unable avoid conflicts. ). You know this by this sentence in the book; with all the money from what they saved up was $350 and at the end of the month they will have $50 more. That bullet was not one of self-gain and moral disrepute, but one of freedom and liberation from worldly restraints. A dog, a pet, friends or family is what most people think of when the word is mentioned. George knows that it would only be right for him to be the one to take Lennie's life. George is not guilty because he had carried out justice against Lennies crimes, would be found justified. Nobody gonna hurt nobody nor steal from em. Les do it now. This is a reason why George is justified in killing Lennie, because not only is he doing out of love for Lennie, he is doing it the nicest he can do it. What comes to mind when the word loyalty is mentioned? George takes on the painful responsibility for protecting the rest of the world from a person who, although he doesn't mean to be, is a genuine threat to others. George should have killed Lennie because Lennie kept getting into trouble, and kept making George lose the job he just got. The quote shows that If George did not have Lennie, maybe he could have a better life more than this because he does not have to take care of Lennie and he can live his life without get in trouble. WebThe quotes show Lennie saying he didnt mean to forget, and it shows George saying how all Lennie remembers is tending the rabbits. What George did was a grueling decision that he had to make. George realizes that Curley is assembling what is essentially a lynch mob. Third, George had to kill Lennie because lennie would have done it again. This conclusion cannot be drawn directly, but Georges words during Lennies final moments imply that George did not kill his best friend for malicious reasons. Lennie can not live a normal life, he would be unhappy to never get his dream or what he wants. This was wrong of George and he is guilty because even though Lennie was accidentally, In the following passage, George is frustrated with Lennie and his previous actions, I got you! George had done the right thing. Go on, George. And he was too dumb to realize what he was doing. Knowing that Lennie will surely mess up again, George is worried about having to get Lennie out of trouble for the rest of their lives. Likewise, when George finds Lennie in the woods before he kills him, Lennie expects George to yell at him and be angry about him killing Curleys wife, Lennie looked eagerly at him. However, the other side might argue that Lennie did not mean to kill Curleys wife, thus he deserves to live. Curly would have hurt Lennie really bad, or he would have put him in a cage and kept him locked up. Most people would choose their friend because they know how to choose the best of two options. The novel describes the lifestyle of two poor workers who have long-term plans to live a happy and successful life on a farm ranch. WebGeorge killing Lennie was justified because had to think about Lennie's life ahead if he didn 't make this choice. Many people argues it was unjustified to kill Lennie because they could have escaped together, however Lennie is a nuisance and tends to cause trouble 1261 Words 6 Pages Good Essays Read More Latest answer posted November 19, 2020 at 6:35:21 PM. Download the entire Of Mice and Men study guide as a printable PDF! which shows that George was trying to induce Lennie with good aspirations. When George hears Curley say this to all of the ranchers he wants to ensure Lennie will die a fast and painless death. You aint so little as mice. The others would have made it a much more brutal killing for Lennie. Steinbeck demonstrates in this novella that sometimes to get to the ultimate destination, there can always be a bumpy road along the way. the killing is laid. He didnt mean to harm, or scare her. I believe that if Lennie were to still be alive, he would lose Georges trust completely, but on the other hand suffer his entire life. Wilts, hes deputy sheriff. George had no reason to kill Lennie. ", (John Steinbeck, 1973, p.58), this really impacted Georges decision on giving someone else the ability to shoot him. This tells us that he can achieve things. In the Bible of Christians , it says that ''You should not kill or harm anyone in any way''. Given the fact that Lennie has already assaulted a woman in Weed and accidentally murdered Curley's wife, there is no telling if Lennie would accidentally harm another person if George did not shoot him. Though George feels that he executes a mercy killing, much as Dr. Kevorkian felt that he was ending the pain of those in whose suicides he assisted, such a choice to end another's life is not really available to another man. In the end you should always do the right thing even if its wrong. (Nicholas Sparks). The idea that people have both high and low-level goals is captured by the: Describe why efficiency is maximised in the loanable funds market when equilibrium exists. I'm going for my shotgun. After reading John Steinbecks Of Mice and Men, George is justified in killing Lennie because; Lennie is a liability and he is already suffering mentally enough. An' s'pose they lock him up and strap him down and put him in a cage. you can use them for inspiration and simplify your student life. 'Course we 'll shoot 'im." Many people who have read the book agrees George and Lennie had a special connection/best friends and many say friends don't kill each other. That too is what Of Mice and Men is all about. Loyalty can be associated with loneliness because by the end of a friendship or family member, someone is always gone before the other, due to old age or a medical issue that has come up. George has already been forced to flee the authorities once after Lennie's incident in Weed. One of the most controversial aspects of George Steinbeck 's novel Of Mice and Men, was the death of Lennie by his friends hands. 5u6 Mc%:>fofb1HEgkXl0H\FuVC#OwP>[o\o 5|$@Y.ix:0:'xti gLvS4g4b"RjzYElcw3SZ9d$Yrky35j+$=xfRar1W^=K{`s"7W I6i7LsZ%{G&QqFv*{4J"@,@h|D GJ^M4Wz fPMyvF$,^Abi%c\Y)&)p /.r+Awu128K$8bV IAIG#%`G0NaZH&N\F-aoXG|(tGk:ays%0X}K)CK0Lp6&r8We $^\p0H+E:roP6wdLQAdIyp^TU 2TJV!mhMZTTmsQ&[3MZDo+biG. 2023. Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are real professors, teachers, and scholars who use their academic expertise to tackle your toughest questions. Previously learning from the experience Candy had when he let someone else shoot his dog, George knew that shooting Lennie was his job to do. George shouldnt have killed lennie because its murder, his best friend and the got away last time so why couldnt they get away this time. Get professional help and free up your time for more important things. The novel Of Mice and Men poses a moral dilemma; is murder ever justified? This quote, from the scene of the crime, tells readers that Lennie killed her out of anger. Im going for my shotgun. Georges actions were justified because he did it for Lennie. Even though the action was bad, George decided it was best to kill Lennie to protect him. I'll shoot 'im in the guts. This is also where George finds Lennie and leads him into a false sense of security before he kills him, George shook himself again.No, he said. Some people might think in the opposite side that George should not killed Lennie because Lennie did not mean to anything. It was also a good idea because Lennie was going to get shot anyways, and George wanted to do it instead of having people Lennie didnt know shoot him. In Chapter 1, what does George tell Lennie to do if he gets in trouble at their new job site in Of Mice and Men. George was a short man who traveled with an abnormally large man with the heart of a child who went by Lennie. Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. As you can see George is completely justified in killing Lennie because he is a. Sure hes just like a kid, there aint no more harming him than a kid neither (Steinbeck 43). A man named George was given this hard decision. The hand shook violently, but his (George) face set and his hand steadied. He has done it without knowing how strong of himself. He didnt mean to harm, or scare her. George knows that it would only be There are many different justifications one could come up with regarding George killing Lennie at the end of Steinbeck's novel Of Mice and Men. WebOf Mice And Men Quotes And Analysis 586 Words | 3 Pages he won 't have fear or sadness in his heart. (Steinbeck 106). George says that he is doing this for others benefit when really he is doing this for his own good. George is not guilty because by killing Lennie, he provided Lennie an escape from his own suffering, he avenged the victims that were lost by Lennie, and he carried out merciful justice for Lennie where there wouldnt have been any at the hands of Curley or law enforcement. One quote that explains Lennies confusion and mental illness is, they was so They may be friends, but we know they are not equal, as one walks behind the other, like a follower behind a leader. He was a man that could have lived on to pursue he dreams, he could tend to the rabbits. Georges actions towards Lennie are seemingly cruel; therefore, it is understandable why one would be unwilling to condone his actions. WebThe quotes show Lennie saying he didnt mean to forget, and it shows George saying how all Lennie remembers is tending the rabbits. They were best friends until he accidentally killed the wife of their bosss son. They aint got nobody in the worl that gives a hoot in [heck] about em (Steinbeck 104). George shot him in the temple of his head for a quick and painless death. Shoot for his guts. I believe George should have killed Lennie because he has hurt people, cant control himself, and would have probably ended up in a horrible mental institution anyway. George needs his ignorant sidekick as much as Lennie needs George. If not, explain why the transaction did not create revenues. Willkommen bei unserem aussagekrftigen Test des Threadless deutschland. From the day that Lennies Aunt Clara died and from the day George took Lennie in as a friend George was always there for him. No, Lennie. Copyright 2023 IPL.org All rights reserved. By using it, you accept our. Lennie does not realize that he is doing wrong by accidentally killing animals and people. Accessed 2 Mar. Le 's get that place now. George concurs, places the Luger on the back of Lennies head, and shoots him. WebGeorge killing Lennie was justified because had to think about Lennies life ahead if he didn 't make this choice. He doesnt want Lennie to fee pain. Another quote that shows why George is just in killing Lennie because of him being a liability is "You gonna give me that mouse or do I have to sock you?" Nevertheless, George feels he must get to Lennie before the others such as Curley, who seeks a terrible revenge for his wife's death as well as for his damaged hand. In John Steinbecks novel, Of Mice and Men, two men, Lennie and George, travel through California 's Central Valley looking for work. WebExplains that george was justified in killing lennie because he was just protecting him from curley. George making this choice was right because Lennie had Let us know your assignment type and we'll make sure to get you exactly the kind of answer you need. Lennie could not look after himself so Lennies aunt told george to look after him. they aint got nobody in the worl' that gives a hoot in hell about 'em----" what does this As Curley's lynch mob is approaching, George holds a gun to Lennie's head as he retells their dream scenario one last time before killing Lennie.1: George's decision to shoot Lennie in the back of the head is justified by the fact that Lennie would suffer more if Curley's lynch mob were to capture him. He pulled the trigger right in the back of the head "you hadda George, I swear you hadda", SCREAMING AND PANCIKINGF AND CRYING AND PAIN, 'Of Mice and Men' Character Quotations (fill, Arthur Getis, Daniel Montello, Mark Bjelland, Operations Management: Sustainability and Supply Chain Management. So think about these factors and ask yourself the question if what George did was justified or. While George and Lennie dressed the same, thats where the similarities end. George even contradicts some of his own put-downs towards Lennie as seen on when he compliments Lennies work ethic, saying, he is a hell of a good worker and strong as a bull (pg 22). Latest answer posted August 09, 2017 at 8:49:59 AM. The fact is, Lennie's fate was fully established from the very start, Well, in the book Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, two men, George and Lennie, shared and worked for the same dream until several problems occurred, when eventually their dream lead to Lennie's demise. His act of killing Lennie is not considered criminal. George should have killed Lennie because worse things would have awaited him if he went to trial. 2016, https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/why-is-george-not-justified-in-killing-lennie-in-682646. Latest answer posted November 30, 2020 at 4:09:18 PM. Candy regretted not being the one to shoot his own dog. Therefore, George was pointing out to Lennie that they have what most guys in their time period dont, they have each other and George is telling Lennie that thats how he wants it to stay. Curley's still mad about his hand. &hR"c/M1h46UXFamT {}I He could live a nice long life without having to babysit Lennie all the time. WebLennie---if you jus happen to get in trouble like you always done before, I want you to come right here an hide in the brushHide in the brush till I come for you (15). WebOf Mice And Men Quotes And Analysis 586 Words | 3 Pages he won 't have fear or sadness in his heart. George would be able to live a much easier life without him. Both traveled together and George was sort of Lennies keeper. George was asked this by slim and he answered Sure, We kinda look after each other George said (Steinbeck 34). He knew that if Lennie was still alive, he would suffer greatly for two reasons: Curley wanted to avenge his wife and eventually Lennie would be sent to jail. I did not bounce you hard (Steinbeck). Although, George uses foul language toward Lennie, his actions show his compassion and caring. He pulled the trigger (Steinbeck 106). Thats a thing I want ya to know (Steinbeck 52). I also strongly believe that if George didnt kill Lennie, the others wouldve done much worse things to him. Latest answer posted December 31, 2020 at 3:22:45 PM. Thats a thing I want ya to know (Steinbeck 106). This act cannot be, In Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck George kills his best friend Lennie. I swear you hadda. Hes gonna beat the hell outta you an then go away an leave you.the rabbit repeated softly over and over, He gonna leave youHe gonna leave ya all alone. (Steinbeck 102) Since this rabbit is part of Lennies imagination, the rabbit represents his subconscious thought, showing that he had dwelled upon the idea of George leaving him quite a bit. What are two examples showing how Lennie is discriminated against because of his disability in the book Of Mice and Men? George wanted to make sure that if Lennie had to go out, he would go out without feeling any guilt or sadness. cZPZvdA Iy{vfaFP@WKRtZnTnAdg>?Wzj4 T.KuvJVzk\/-G"TmW-x DPy3jagNhN(PYJ5]1r$ou.j],&ohp (><0B";&etn? However, George could have stood up for Lennie instead of killing him. They got ran out of Weed(the old farm they used to work at) for harassing a girl and not letting her go. "All the time he coulda had such a good time if it was not for you (Steinbeck). In the text it mentions that,George shivered and looked at the gun. George had to decide whether or not he would kill Lennie mercifully, or let the rest of the worker's murder him. "I could get a job an' not have no mess." George shot him in the temple of his head for a quick and painless death. Killing Lennie is now the only means available for taking care of him; George probably wouldn't see it this way, but perhaps he's better off without Lennie, better able to pursue his dreams of owning his own ranch. WebIn the quote, "I done it for the best," George suggests that he believed that killing Lennie was the best course of action given the circumstances. Curley and What does the title Of Mice and Men mean? Killing Lennie is justified throughout the book Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck because if George did not kill Lennie, then Lennie wouldve had a slow, painful death, due to the fact the Curly is furious at Lennie for murdering his wife. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck, is a novella about the American Dream two friends have. I wisht wed get the rabbits pretty soon, George. That's how." ~[~C]1bzQ(/hp,JzWe0#qwqoXMkeJAaa/|#Y!1H&V`b+}_Xx{ w]\d72zQeWuz=Zn$>a('aXrJtgi/h,}{{|}H7{+le_Kk1oy2A[dBa;[]4 zp=A,Dx z6"X11m7 .:RnqGt`0W$cw|;{%zXD"g/93Dw vWim%2h 7 ]+[G XzN/wQm59vi;h3+@R'9K"(NAxE%eJT, \jUNn 6@ vGP@6^5ySj{GwxMSu^E\tQs M3 (rf)h_AMM>:FoJ\!Q%-8Q9mO>r@AS{%p'|IQZx,xn (!dvzty#K"s#6Floo {bt)yn/66[Z/t"hZv!a~cSW 0u>( George and Lennie were best friends, and have been since they were little. The hand shook violently, but his (George) face set and his hand steadied. That'll double im over. (Steinbeck 48. They have to use the facts and stick to the law. Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. Even though saying that Lennie is like a kid is a good reasoning to keep him alive, there is another reasoning. WebGeorge made the right decision by shooting Lennie Because. They aint so little." They were best friends until he accidentally killed the wife of their bosss son. I'll shoot 'im in the guts. All Curley cried. I never been mad, an I aint now. First, George's killing of Lennie can be understood as a mercy killing. George did not want Lennie to suffer for what curly had in store for him so think of Lennie death as a mercy kill fast Even though shooting Lennie wasnt planned I think George knew it was going to have to be done sometime in the future because, Lennie ruins all of George 's chances of keeping a steady job. With our Essay Lab, you can create a customized outline within seconds to get started on your essay right away. To get a high-quality original essay, click here. Second, George must understand that as much as he loves Lennie, Lennie is a threat to the people around him. He didnt know anything. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. Should George have murdered Lennie? Instead, made sure that he was hopeful and happy. "What are three reasons George was right to kill Lennie in Of Mice and Men?"