PEPCID AC (FAMOTIDINE): Famotidine is used to treat ulcers of the stomach and intestines and to prevent intestinal ulcers from coming back after they have healed. They usually go away on their own without any treatment and people learn to live with this abnormal heart rhythm. Change how you take your medication. (The medical term for a fast heart rate is tachycardia.). I currently drink 1 electrolyte solution in the morning, theyre blackcurrant tablets that dissolve in drink. I just stumbled by accident onto reviews from so many people of Pepcid causing this. If you have another problem with your heart that's treated, your PVCs may decrease. My standard of health is 'am I still alive? They went on for a couple weeks, but I read about them and attributed to the increased anxiety. These are known as drug-condition interactions. The most commonly reported minor side effects of famotidine are constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, headache, insomnia, muscle pain, nausea, and vomiting. I had 28,000+/- pvcs/day and the EP I saw also refused to do an ablation because pvcs are BENIGN. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. It is used to treat stomach and duodenal (intestinal) ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and conditions where too much stomach acid is secreted, such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. IDK. Prescription famotidine also comes as a liquid suspension you take by mouth, and in an injectable form that's only given by a healthcare provider. Famotidine/Pepcid Intravenous Inj Sol: 1mL, 10mg, 20mg, 50mL Famotidine/Pepcid Oral Pwd F/Recon: 5mL, 40mg DOSAGE & INDICATIONS For self-medication of pyrosis (heartburn), acid dyspepsia (acid indigestion), or sour stomach, either for prophylaxis or for symptomatic relief. Pepcid AC and Zantac 360 are brand-name versions of this drug. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. See the drugs prescribing information for details. Note: After the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves a drug, it tracks side effects of the medication. Learn how to treat acid reflux to prevent more damaging complications. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.org," "Mayo Clinic Healthy Living," and the triple-shield Mayo Clinic logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. But is this a normal event with a bp med? I have been able to work by staying on this regimen. All non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents, even those over the counter, can do this as well. nctr-crs.fda.gov/fdalabel/services/spl/set-ids/3c32dd69-8211-4ec1-87d8-75e9dade14a1/spl-doc, nctr-crs.fda.gov/fdalabel/services/spl/set-ids/2854047f-c5c4-43c3-8ef2-5c0a84a307f2/spl-doc, nctr-crs.fda.gov/fdalabel/services/spl/set-ids/fd61a2d6-5c8a-4e7a-8b19-37406b90f778/spl-doc. For this medicine, the following should be considered: Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to this medicine or any other medicines. He is a good doc and tries to help me with my issues as much as he can. You should always consult your doctor or another healthcare professional before taking any medication. No, famotidine isnt known to cause weight gain or hair loss. Class IC antiarrhythmic drugs for suspected premature ventricular contraction-induced cardiomyopathy. That link does not prove cause-and-effect, Cooke acknowledged. "Product Information. Hi. Although rare, famotidine can cause long-term side effects. Oddly enough, medication to help stop them can make them worse. It was grewat while it lasted. Update 3/20/21: 5 days out and I may have had 15-20 PVCs I noticed throughout today and evening up to this point. Ringing in ears. Some supplements can trigger a fast or irregular heartbeat. Jeffrey S. Lander, MD, is a board-certified cardiologist and the President and Governor of the American College of Cardiology, New Jersey chapter. Kidney problems may increase your risk of side effects from taking famotidine. Ablation, cardioversion, pacemaker, and more. By Richard N. Fogoros, MD Do not take other medicines unless they have been discussed with your doctor. Long-time users, Buckley added, should ask their doctor, "Do I really need to be on this medication?". People ages 65 years and older may have an increased risk of side effects from taking famotidine. Mayo Clinic does not endorse any of the third party products and services advertised. I correlated the attacks with the event, but I'm not sure if I had taken the Famotidine during that time. Kidney problems: People with moderate to severe kidney problems usually need to take a lower dose of . Copyright 2023 IBM Watson Health. WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. And doctors won't mention or entertain it either because it is apparently considered a very rare oneor they don't know it is. To get information on different conditions and tips for improving your health, subscribe to any of Healthlines newsletters. 1 Beta blockers are not as effective as "true" antiarrhythmic drugs at eliminating PVCs, but they are generally safe and usually well tolerated. There's also evidence that regular exercise can reduce palpitations. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. Upon reading other experiences, there are so many folks who experienced PVCs and other symptoms that I have in the last several months. I also take Xanax, four .25 mg. per day. (All I said were because of allergies or having heat on in Winter.) "We can often back them down to an H2 blocker," he said. Famotidine is used to treat and prevent ulcers in the stomach and intestines. Using this medicine with any of the following medicines may cause an increased risk of certain side effects, but using both drugs may be the best treatment for you. 1998-2023 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). Most of those long-term risks are linked to the drug's suppression of stomach acids, said Buckley, who was not involved in the new study. Proarrhythmia is particularly likely in people who have underlying heart disease, but it can happen to anyone. Allergic reaction. Can Famotidine Cause Erectile Dysfunction? I feel ok now. The good news? Premature ventricular complexes, or PVCs, are among the most common of the cardiac arrhythmias. As a result, your risk of side effects will likely decrease. Strenuous activity. Treatment of Premature Ventricular Complexes. Children under 12 . Safety and efficacy have not been established in children to treat conditions causing too much stomach acid and to prevent an ulcer from coming back. Adults and children weighing 40 kilograms (kg) or more20 milligrams (mg) 2 times per day, at the morning and at bedtime, or 40 mg once a day at bedtime for up to 8 weeks. I too, also take Xannax as needed, maybe every couple for of months for about 2 days. Some of the side effects of them are heart palps. If your condition does not improve, or if it become worse, check with your doctor. PPIs, such as omeprazole, lansoprazole and other drugs ending in 'azole', have been used since the early 1990s. That seemed to help quickly at a low dose. "Because Prilosec is a very commonly used drug, and palpitations are a very common symptom, it's likely that palpitations can be found in Prilosec users," says Daniel P. Morin, MD, FACC, Director of . They can answer any questions about using famotidine during these times. Non-CAD risk factors for PVCs also include hypomagnesemia (low magnesium) and hypokalemia (low potassium). But if you have any symptoms that are ongoing or bother you, talk with your doctor or pharmacist. Medications most likely to do this are certain antibiotics (particularly tetracycline), potassium supplements, quinidine (a medication for heart palpitations), and alendronate (Fosomax). Janet's Holter monitor showed that over 24 hours her heart beat around 100,000 times with around 2500 PVCs during the recording. Theyll check your blood to be sure that your platelets arent too low. The average household teaspoon may not hold the right amount of liquid. healthcare provider. Using this medicine with any of the following medicines is usually not recommended, but may be required in some cases. Hyman MC, Mustin D, Supple G, et al. They include serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as desvenlafaxine, duloxetine, and venlafaxine, and. The treatment of PVCs would be easy if we had antiarrhythmic drugs (drugs that treat cardiac arrhythmias) that were both safe and effective at getting rid of PVCs. Pregnancy or breastfeeding: If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your healthcare provider before taking Pepcid AC. So, in addition to doing an evaluation for heart disease, sometimes it is necessary to consider doing something about the PVCs themselves in order to reduce symptoms. Keep from freezing. Knowing what side effects the drug can cause can help you and your doctor decide whether this treatment is right for your condition. Note: This document contains side effect information about famotidine. They may suggest a treatment to manage your symptoms. I may even lose my job in september when I go back to work because I can't focus with these missed beats and with the medicines being so strong I always need a 2 hour midday nap to make it through the rest of the day. 20 hours lat. But many people take proton pump inhibitors for less-severe problems, such as occasional heartburn that crops up after eating certain foods. Heart Rhythm 2013; 10:172. I work for a state university and there is a professor there that has reactions to all kinds of chemicals and she has managed to keep teaching with help from the Disabilities Act. Those medications include brands like Zantac, Pepcid and Tagamet. Pepcid (famotidine)." I just stumbled by accident onto reviews from so many people of Pepcid causing this. Well you gotta see the bright side LOL. In some cases, they may recommend a different treatment option for you. Start your journey to a healthier you with Vida-Flo's IV Hydration Treatment today! They can recommend ways to prevent certain long-term side effects. If both medicines are prescribed together, your doctor may change the dose or how often you use one or both of the medicines. . They may do some tests on your heart to be sure that its beating properly. PVCs themselves are rarely dangerous. While statistically PVCs are associated with an increased risk of dying, that increased risk is mainly due to the presence of underlying heart disease and to risk factors for cardiac disease. Do not take more of it, do not take it more often, and do not take it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. Most Common - Tremor, anxiety, headache, muscle cramps, dry mouth, and palpitations Most Common - Headache, palpitations, diarrhea, weakness, fluid retention, nausea . So if you have been relatively sedentary, talk to your healthcare provider about beginning an exercise program. Can stress really do all that to a person? These are more likely to occur if you are older or if you have a kidney disease. Examples include using certain kinds of mouthwash or lozenges to treat this side effect. [Ref], Very rare (less than 0.01%): Chest tightness, prolonged QT interval, Frequency not reported: Arrhythmia, atrioventricular block, palpitation[Ref], Very rare (less than 0.01%): Impotence[Ref], Frequency not reported: Conjunctival injection[Ref], Frequency not reported: Gynecomastia[Ref]. Famotidine can cause headaches. blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin, fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse, seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there, large, hive-like swelling on face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or genitals, puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue, red skin lesions, often with a purple center, sores, ulcers, or white spots in the mouth or on the lips, Bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste, continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears, loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance, redness of the face, neck, arms and occasionally, upper chest. Step 10 (a): Please don't beat me up on this one. A recent study gave the drugs to people who didn't have stomach problems to begin with. Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. 2018;15(2):159-163. doi:10.1016/j.hrthm.2017.12.018, Wang JS, Shen YG, Yin RP, et al. -Feeling hot, high BP, headaches. A good rule of thumb is to be careful with any pain medication. Nearly half developed . I'm dealing with the PVC issues too. At that time, I believe I was out of the OTC Famotidine and taking Tums as needed. PPI's are generally safe medications. Another class of heartburn drug -- so-called H2-blockers -- was not linked to any increase in heart attack risk, the study authors noted. A generic drug and its brand-name version are expected to have the same side effects because they contain the same active ingredient. Hydroxyzine has been used for almost 60 years as an antihistamine, antipsychotic, anxiolytic and sedative across a range of indications. If you have symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, such as swelling or trouble breathing, call 911 or your local emergency number right away. Less dizziness and I take up to 25 mg. in divided doses -- 1/4's. Chief among them is a tendency to cause "proarrhythmia"that is, actually triggering arrhythmias that may be far more dangerous than the PVCs. Here Are Some Possible Causes, Heartburn Relief: Home Remedies & Methods to Try, 14 Ways to Prevent Heartburn and Acid Reflux, damage to the esophagus (the tube that goes from your mouth to your stomach) due to GERD, treat conditions that cause the stomach to make too much acid, prevent ulcers in the intestines if a person has had an ulcer in the past, feeling like your heart is fluttering or has skipped a beat, swelling under your skin, usually in your eyelids, lips, hands, or feet, swelling of your mouth, tongue, or throat, which can make it hard to breathe, an antihistamine you take by mouth, such as, a product you apply to your skin, such as hydrocortisone cream, what dose of the drug you were taking when you had the side effect, how soon you had the side effect after starting that dose, any other information you feel is important. Make sure your doctor knows if you had a heart rhythm problem, such as QT prolongation. Portions of this document last updated: Feb. 01, 2023, Original article: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/famotidine-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20072972. Most of the other stuff has cleared up and it's really the heart thing that's causing the stress now. And started on my vitaminmagnesium. They would come and go for weeks at a time. In 2009, they were the third most commonly used type of drug in the United States, the researchers said. They include nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation or headache. FDA: Learning About Side Effects, Thyroid Medications: Q & A with Mary Parks, M.D., Mayo Clinic: Tachycardia, Phenylephrine (Nasal Route), Albuterol Side Effects: Can I Avoid Them?, American Lung Association: Asthma Medicines Chart., Cleveland Clinic: Your Heart and the Big 4 Med Types to Avoid, Heart Patients: 3 Common Medications You May Need to Avoid, Heart Palpitations., American Academy of Family Physicians: Decongestants: OTC Relief for Congestion, Types of Antidepressants., Harvard Medical School: Skipping a Beatthe Surprise of Heart Palpitations, Dont Let Decongestants Squeeze Your Heart.. If you have heartburn, you may be interested in learning about famotidine. If you have a heart problem, talk to your cardiologist (your heart doctor) before you take any prescription or over-the-counter medicines. PEPCID (FAMOTIDINE): Famotidine is used to treat ulcers of the stomach and intestines and to prevent intestinal ulcers from coming back after they have healed. While it is fortunate that PVCs usually cause only minimal symptoms, that fact doesn't help very much if you are one of the unlucky few whose PVCs are highly bothersome. Brand name: Pepcid. How to Cut Calories and Heartburn, Avoiding Common Heartburn Triggers: What to Know, Common Heartburn Triggers: What You Should Know. The theory is that there's too LITTLE stomach acid, not too much, so the opening to the throat doesn't close, allowing stomach acid to get. All the other side effects vanished within 24-48 hours after my last dose, and the PVCs have decreased some each day. In addition to reducing your risk for CAD, this effort may very well also reduce your PVCs. However, PVCs are also associated with several risk factors for CAD, especially hypertension. Check with your doctor right away if you have the following symptoms: confusion, delirium, hallucinations, disorientation, agitation, seizures, or unusual drowsiness, dullness, tiredness, weakness, or feeling of sluggishness. We are all in the same boat. Healthline Media does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Your doctor will recommend the best treatment plan for you. They may be able to recommend ways to treat this side effect. The drug information contained herein is subject to change and is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. He has had a cold then a week later developed a very sore throat, he has a ganglion on his wrist, a painful shoulder, a bad ankle, an eye that went bright red, a weird anal lump, painful trapped wind (one and off for years), bloating after eating small amounts and it's hard on a person to go through all that and still smile. In studies of the drug, this wasnt a commonly reported side effect. You may develop a dry mouth from taking famotidine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine. Applies to famotidine: oral powder for suspension, oral tablet. These symptoms could be life threatening and require immediate medical care. For example, you might take a medicine to lower your blood pressure or lower your heart rate. If youre an older adult, your doctor may recommend taking a lower dose of this drug due to this risk. Tums helped. This is because taking a lower dose of a drug means less of it in your body. Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking famotidine: Some side effects of famotidine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. O 0. I take 200mgs of Metropolol, 6mg of Xanax, and 40 mgs of Pravastatin. Appropriate studies performed to date have not demonstrated pediatric-specific problems that would limit the usefulness of famotidine in children weighing 40 kilograms (kg) or more. But don't stop taking proton pump inhibitors based on this study, expert says. I have been on Toprol XR for Afib and it made me dizzy and dropped my bp too much. Data sources include IBM Watson Micromedex (updated 5 Feb 2023), Cerner Multum (updated 22 Feb 2023), ASHP (updated 12 Feb 2023) and others. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." Hi everybody. The PVCs themselves, in general, are thought to be largely benign. These are different from many of the other over-the-counter antacid products that neutralize stomach acid but do not block its production. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Factors to consider include those described below. Because PVCs are often associated with underlying heart disease, your healthcare provider should perform a cardiac evaluation when he or she first discovers them. What Are Side Effects of Pepcid? Because it certainly isn't listed as a possible side effect along with the many other symptoms. WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Antimicrobial Agents: Fluoroquinolones, macrolides, and antifungal agents have been associated with prolonged QT interval and TdP. For the prescription form, there is more medicine in each tablet. Some patients report benefit from magnesium supplementation. Learn about side effects, drug interactions, dosages, warnings, and more.