BUT The airspeed and angle of attack are related directly, yes ? The Glide Ratio is the ratio of distance forward to distance downwards when a glider is flown at a constant speed in still air. Though the Decathlon went out of production within a decade of its introduction, this was not due to any fault in the design, but rather to the slump in general aviation in the United States at the end of the 1970s and the beginning of the 1980s. They also now manufacture the Citabria Adventure and the Citabria Explorer. 3, 2005.) It's not a fixed number and the 50:1 ratio will only be achieved at one speed. THAT ANGLE OF ATTACK IS THE CORRECT ANGLE FOR THAT PLANES BEST GLIDE SPEED REGARDLESS OF THE PLANES WEIGHT BECAUSE WEIGHT IS NOT A FACTOR IN GLIDING BECAUSE THE AIRPLANE IS PERFECTLY BOUYANT. Do you have the glide ratio in your book? The American Champion 8KCAB Decathlon and Super Decathlon are two-seat fixed conventional gear light airplanes designed for flight training and personal use and capable of sustaining aerobatic stresses between +6g and 5g. 2. Increased wing rigidity is to blame for the float, Mehlhaff, Jr., said. 3. Dec 19 2022. What else should I plan for, in checking this? That model was abandoned by aerobatic enthusiasts in favor of the Champion Decathlon 8KCAB because of its better inverted flight performance. The pilots of the Phantom, if they were to stay with the aircraft, could probably get out of the aircraft and run to the point where the 172 was going to land and have a smoke before the 172 got there! In this example, the glide ratio provided in the POH comes out . Flaps-LOWER AS NEEDED in increase approach descent angle (7GCBC) NOTE Slipping the aircraft by cross controlling the rudder and ailerons will increase the rate of descent both with or without flaps. when I had my mac attack that is what I did and it seem to work.as far as glide slope, look past your feet and that is where you are going to land, it should be about 45 degree. Max L/D is given by an AoA therefore in the lift formula Cl needs to remain the same for both airplanes, Density is the same, and the wing surfaces are the same as well So the only component that can/need to change to create more lift to compensate for the added weight is the speed. 5. a pretty decent policy in airplanes is that if you can see it over the nose there is good odds you can't make it there. Bellanca Citabria 7ECA Technical Specifications Exterior Exterior Height: 7 ft 7 in Wing Span: 33 ft 6 in Length: 22 ft 1 in Interior Cabin Height: 3 ft 11 In Cabin Width: 2 ft 6 In Cabin Length: 8 ft 10 In Occupancy Crew: 1 Passengers: 2 Operating Weights Max T/O Weight: 1650 Lb Empty Weight: 1060 Lb Fuel Capacity: 35 gal Lb Payload Useful: 590 Lb The fourth model, the 7KCAB, was basically a 7GCAA with an inverted fuel and oil system, but will not be revived by American Champion. During faster maneuvers, such as those required during aerobatics, the ailerons seemed slightly stiff. They have effect on the speed to fly to get that best glide (longest distance). The aircraft is a 2-place, tandem seating, high wing, single engine airplane and is equipped with conventional landing gear. Designed for flight training, utility and personal use, it is capable of sustaining aerobatic stresses from +5g to -2g. Steve Fossett was flying a Bellanca-built Super Decathlon when he went missing on September 3, 2007. SAVE Last Update: 02/24/2023. So if he creates a few wings sets (6 or 7) with the same surface and varying only the cord and span starting with low aspect moving onto high aspect and seeing which ones glide furthersomewhere in there he would find the "right" AR. Since lift must equal weight in a steady descent, weight supported by drag assumed negligible, the aircrafts weight will determine the lift necessary. Can you or anyone judge 6.01 deg glide path (not angle of attack) A 1.7 NM per 1000 feet glide is an angle of 5.5 degrees, Arc-Tan (1000/ (1.7*6076)) = 5.5 degrees. The Citabria is a light single-engine, two-seat, fixed conventional gear airplane which entered production in the United States in 1964. NO OTHER CHANGES. It remains a widely used aircraft in agricultural spraying and is also used as a tow plane, or tug, for launching gliders or for towing banners. Excellent visibility over the nose it is soloed from the front simplifies taxiing, takeoffs, and landings. Maule Air Texas Inc. OR USA (214) 384-1858 . The Citabria POH/AFM is a piece of junk, isn't it? The fuel tanks are vented together with the vent located on the left wing. Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association Find it free on the store. In other words, the Angle of Attack for best glide will not change. 10-11:1 otherwise. YOU GET THERE QUICKER. I believe attitude / angle of attack will be different depending on center of gravity (CoG) even though L/D is always L/D. The wood winged 7GCBC weight go up to 1800lbs on edo 2000 floats. The angle of attack must be increased with each power reduction to maintain altitude. This means that all else being equal a sailplane can stay in the air for about two to three times as long as a hang glider! altitude) have no effect on the glide ratio. Glider: SchleicherASK 21Tail #: The Decathlon was designed by the Champion Aircraft Corporation, and is a derivative of the 7-series Citabrias. First and foremost, of course, is American Champion. How would you go about finding it yourself? The Kodiak is a true STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) aircraft powered up front by a PT6A-34 producing 750 shp allowing the Kodiak to get off the ground in just under 1,000 feet . Most think this is blasphemy, so take it with a grain of salt: ** Displayed ranges represent performance at gross weight with standard day conditions in stock configuration. (Use your L/D max speed). Demonstrated Crosswind Component: 17kts. hope this might help. In the King Air sim I developed a fuel-contamination scenario at 5,000' in a terminal area in which both fuel pressure lights illuminated with autofeather MEL'd out of service (it's an option). This page was last edited on 4 November 2022, at 14:52. Throttle - CLOSED when in gliding distance or runway 3. 40 or more to one for single seaters has been common for 30 years or so. [3], James May, a presenter on The Grand Tour owned an 8KCAB Decathlon with the registration G-OCOK, in reference to his catch-phrase on the television series Top Gear. People should practice engine-outs by landing with idle power whenever possible. Like the original, it can handle a hefty 17-knot crosswind. At a critical point angle of attack, the aircraft can maintain altitude only by increasing power and is said to be behind the power curve. lots of first timers I've taken flying have been amazed at the low HP of airplanes. Like the 7KCAB, the engine of the 8KCAB has a fuel injection system, as opposed to a carburetor. Or how do you (avoiding mathematics) figure it out. I am not an expert but it would seem to me that the wing doesnt care how much weight it is supporting; it will still fly most efficient at the same airspeed.. Congrats to Ian and CFI Scott for checking this box off his list. This change gives the Decathlon better inverted flight and negative-g maneuver capabilities. Production history [ edit] The winds would have to be factored in as well. Thanks, hi i just wanted to ask that while practicing a flameout landing.. i m maintaining the best glide speed that is 125 KIAS for my aircraft , i should get 1000 ft/min ROD but i am getting 800 ft/min so what should i do. This frees you to make the decisions and troubleshoot. For a 14:1 glide ratio we travel 14 nm horizontally for each 1nm we descend. Older Citabria 7GCBC aircraft produced in the 1960s and 1970s had wood spars that are prone to cracking. (The Citabria was certified under older CAR 4a regulations, when a more extensive flight manual was not required.) You are using an out of date browser. Wow! One point did seem worrisome, however. [4], Learn how and when to remove this template message, Photo of James May with his 8KCAB Decathlon, "Decathlon Adds Lycoming For "Xtreme" Aerobat", "Super Decathlon Model 8KCAB Specifications", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=American_Champion_Decathlon&oldid=1119996939, This page was last edited on 4 November 2022, at 14:53. But I think I found your answer from: A typical commercial airliner will glide at a ratio of about 3:1. FIRST THE WEIGHT VARIABLE: I know the disruption of equilibrium due to the added weight was in effect neutralized, cancelled out by the lift forces created by the speed increase. American Champion expects to begin building the 7GCAA in a year, but with a 160-hp engine. Introduced in 1964, the 7ECA was the first version of the design and utilized the Continental O-200-A engine of 100 horsepower (75 kW). Description: Our Club purchased this glider simulator in 2019 for our students from Russell Holtz. glide path is not the same as attitude / angle of attack (AoA). Per the C180 owner's manual, sea level best rate is listed as 87 - 90 mph. The fuselage and tail surfaces are constructed of welded metal tubing. The fuselage and tail surfaces are constructed of welded metal tubing. It's fair to say the Citabria goes back a waysall the way to the beginning, in fact. If you have a GPS just hold an airspeed, throttle back, decend a fixed amount and see how far you went. The extra weight is balanced by the extra lift Designed for flight training and personal use, it entered production in the United States in 1945. Description: The G102 Astir is a single seat fibreglas 15m Standard Class sailplane with a retractable wheel, designed by and built by Grob Aircraft, with the first flight in December 1974. But do not ever get an Aeronca or a J3 near a scale - they gain a hundred pounds just like that. Will both airplanes arrive at the same point? One of the major developments of the 8KCAB Decathlon over the 7KCAB Citabria is the Decathlon's wing, which employs a semi-symmetrical airfoil, as opposed to the Citabria's flat-bottomed airfoil. Also, there is no thrust to move the aircraft. The Citabria design based on the Aeronca 7AC Champion. And, on a side note, do any of you happen to know the glide ratio for a 7GCAA? All rights reserved. This is great!! Remember weight does affect stall speed. More Info. Using trigonometry we get an angle of about 4 degrees below the horizon. 7ECA, Citabria Standard, Citabria Aurora. You would have to have a different attitude (sight picture) to achieve this. Higher is better. But I am not sure of that. The first quoted paragraph said; Both instructor Davis and owner Davis cautioned prior to the flight that the airplane likes to float on landing. Introduced in 1964, the 7ECA was the first version of the design and utilized the Continental O-200-A engine of 100 horsepower (75kW). 14:1 means 14 km of distance per 1 km of altitude.