I just wanted to buy some beautiful car. Im not, at 72 years old, willing to give up my career.. "I hope that this song and its words will be seen as a prayer a prayer for our country, and a prayer for the world. Malaprop. It was not out of any lack of love for these guys. Sorry for the poor quality. He lives in L.A.; I live in London. Send us a tip using our anonymous form. The singer-songwriters last ever sole public performance was on February 25, 2020 at the London Palladium as part of a tribute concert to late Fleetwood Mac founding member Peter Green. She was a huge part of their sound over the past five decades, and its hard to imagine them carrying on without her. In the old days, if you bought an album by one person, there were like 12 songs on it, and maybe four or five of them are great, and the other ones are good, but not quite as exciting. She and Katz talked about the bands reunion after a five-year hiatus and the process of putting the album together with her bandmates amid their tumultuous personal lives. Dreams Then the feeling came back. One shouldnt mind, because after all, theyre paying you a terrific compliment. Christine McVie vender tilbage til Fleetwood Mac, skriver FleetwoodMacNews i dag. But Mick and John and Stevie and I all got on well, contrary to public opinion. Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac. The night she fell ill last year, she had just become the first woman to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice an honour that reflects her wild success as one of the lead singers of Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artist, as a writer and singer of raw, magical songs about love and freedom, including Dreams, Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman, Landslide and Edge of Seventeen. "If I had not had that abortion, Im pretty sure there would have been no Fleetwood Mac," Nicks, 72, told the outlet. We did it to take care of her son. Mattyjj. The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time She says people always ask the band: Do you get along? Wed go: Not really. Theyd say: Are you friends? and wed go: Not really. Do you see each other when youre not on tour? Er, no. It has been like that since 1976.. The family of the bands co-vocalist and keyboardist confirmed that the 79-year-old had died after a short illness. Im in quite bad health. 6 following. I was always happy with Stevie and Lindsey and loved what they brought to the table musically. I only had it once and it destroyed my face for four months. Christine McVie is one of Fleetwood Mac's songwriters, credited on "The Chain," "Oh Daddy," "Songbird," and other hits. Until we kicked him out [laughs]. Fleetwood Macs Christine McVie: Cocaine and champagne made me perform better. Since their personal relationships were a big part of their story, this was ground that had been well covered by other people. Whats that saying? I have friends who have a yacht in Portofino, Italy, so sometimes go over there. I was happy with that era. The pair joined Fleetwood Mac in 1975. It has sold more than 40m copies and keeps reaching new listeners. I like quite a broad range of people, and my favorite the Beatles, of course. Some of their songs move me to tears. It just all fell into place and was really fantastic. Find a screening at stevienicksfilm.com. I think with me he tends to lean slightly towards a romantic side of him musically, Im speaking because he describes himself as the brains and me as the heart. Northeastern London professor thinks she knows why, When I look at it, I see love. MLK Memorial The Embrace on Boston Common elicits warmth, artistic criticism. I suppose its just a musical rapport Is very easy to work with him_ Although I know people say he can be a difficult bugger, Ive always found him to be a terrific fellow to work with. GeoffWhit. "Maybe I can talk Elon Musk into giving us a jet and letting me pick 50 people, and were like the arc, and someone can take us and let us live on another planet until the next four years are over.". Its a wakeup call and an opportunity, according to experts, Fact checking Don Lemon: Women reach their prime later in life, Northeastern experts say. IDNumNoLongerWorks. Everyone was very different, but we all got on, for the most part. When Christine McVie joined Fleetwood Mac in 1970, she had no idea she was kicking off a five-decade odyssey that would produce not only some of the most beloved songs of the rock era, but also more heartache and anguish than perhaps any other band in history. Last Christmas, she was at my house and she comes into the kitchen, grabs my hand and goes: Come with me, Grandma Stevie, and Im going: Did this child just call me Grandma Stevie? She did. It wasnt really a honeymoon. But we occasionally write to each other or phone each other. Hes been suffering with a few health problems, but hes OK. I didnt use any other drugs at all. She plans to spend the rest of the night in bed with her dog, Lily, reading Vogue and watching the sunrise, drinking tea. Its scoliosis. Not to diminish her value as a singer and a keyboard player. I know you werent there for much of the Peter Green era, but Im always astounded by the number of great songs he wrote in that little window of time. In another interview to Guitar World, . Were planning to start rehearsing sometime in the spring. Hockey physics: What are the forces responsible for a good slap shot? Christine McVie discusses when she knew it was time to come out of retirement.BUILD is a live interview series like no othera chance for fans to sit inches away from some of todays biggest names in entertainment, tech, fashion and business as they share the stories behind their projects and passions. R.I.P. I stand up to play the piano, so I dont know if I could actually physically do it. We had our fights here and there, but there was nothing like the music or the intensity onstage. He was staying at the same hotel and he got plastered with us, on our wedding night! Thats all I can say about it, really. Its your real mother, walking into your kitchen and saying she puts on a rasp Dont drink any more of that shit. She pauses, waiting for me to laugh, then cackles. I think it was just her personality, too, that she was more comfortable in that role. Just phenomenal. I was surprised to hear the news [Buckingham was leaving the band] because it happened after I went back to London that the decision was made. And I think its just a spectacular song.". Great sense of humor. What is your favourite period in Fleetwood Macs history and why? I was blown to pieces, THE BEATLES ARE ON THE COVER OF THE LATEST ISSUE OF UNCUT, He was open about everything: inside a new documentary Willie Nelson & Family. Ray_Hatton. Stevie and Lindsey had been playing as a duo, made a great record [Buckingham Nicks], which to this day I really love, but hadnt got very far. And I knew that the music we were going to bring to the world was going to heal so many peoples hearts and make people so happy. Some days its better than others, but its not much fun. Ive always believed in spiritual forces. Its a moment-in-time snapshot of Christine McVie 1987; were talking about whatever it is that were talking about. Its a hard thing to analyse, really. Ive thought about it, but I dont know. It was something spectacular. He was brilliant. I related to them, and obviously to Dennis really well, although Dennis was a bit of a madman. Fleetwood Mac had a legendary alcohol and drug intake. Hopefully, it will be a globally known brand. Graduate using his Northeastern education to grow familys furniture business, Its just another marketing scheme. Or was it necessary for your mind and body? I almost died | The Times, Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie puts Kent mansion on sale for 3.5m | Daily Mail (UK), Mick Fleetwood: The star who snorted a line of cocaine 7 miles long! Which I do like. 149 posts. Id been sick and chugging down the Hawaiian Punch. By Gary Graff FLEETWOOD MAC/hristine McVie. Christine said, "I was so warmly and affectionately received back into the band like the prodigal daughter or something." Check out this video to see how Stevie and Mick are feeling going back on. ! I felt regenerated and I felt like writing again. The singer-songwriter died "peacefully" at the age of 79 on Wednesday, her family said. No, it would have to be with a sense of humor. Can you tell them to start [laughs]? I already said to you about how its like a three-legged stool. If I had not had that abortion, Im pretty sure there would have been no Fleetwood Mac. Chicken Shack used to open for them. Did you think you would come back? Oh God, the Botox, she says. I try to stick by that rule and to be as good a person as I can. Copyright 2023 Penske Business Media, LLC. Really? I certainly think its a good idea, I think it would be quite nice to cut a couple of new ones. She fell seriously ill in March 2019, ending up in intensive care with double pneumonia; after that shock, she fears contracting Covid-19 could end her singing career: My mom was on a ventilator for three weeks when she had open-heart surgery and she was hoarse for the rest of her life.. Whats the best advice youve ever received? Nicks is unabashedly funny, dry as a bone, often sidling into sarcasm. After the first 20 rows they all disappear anyway. So I wouldnt know. Im an independent woman and am able to take care of myself, and that is not attractive to men., She remembers a discussion with her father in her family home, just after Bella Donna came out, when she was 35. We went into Zellerbach Hall studios [In Berkeley, California], they got me a bunch of red roses and I sang it alone on the stage. Its a very subtle drug; you just dont feel it much, or so you think. I slipped in the mud and fell in the river, and they had to get me out using a fishing net. Oh Well Nicks was close to her mother, Barbara, who pushed to get her career back after she had children. The devastating news of Christine McVies death hit Wednesday afternoon, and were still processing it along with Fleetwood Mac fans all over the globe. I dont really write songs to relax. Also, I loved being with Neil Finn and Mike Campbell. It seems bizarre that Stevie [Nicks] is not on it, because the rest of the band are. I loved working with them. I think I was happy pretty much all the time. Danny and I didnt really gel that well. When her first solo album, the brilliant Bella Donna, topped the charts in 1981, she gave Buckingham a copy. He was just a really lovely man. Do you regret your [16-year] hiatus [from Fleetwood Mac]? Ive got a chronic back problem, which debilitates me. But the acoustic version will break your heart. Both were recorded remotely, with Dave Grohl on drums and Dave Stewart on guitar. I realised that I made a huge mistake, thats all. Stevie Nicks had by far the bigger solo career; Stevie Nicks became a solo star on her own. JohnB11. Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie has sold her 115-title song catalog to Hipgnosis, making her the fourth of the band's five members to sell their publishing rights within the past nine months . She drummed that into me, and Im so glad she did., Womens rights have been on Nicks mind since the death of her hero, the US supreme court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, last month. Encore: Robin was diagnosed with leukaemia while she was pregnant with her first child and died shortly after his birth. We played there a few times and it was a pretty great gig. We all got into this little rehearsal room and it just shot off like firecrackers. Can I just say that Harry Styles is not my younger boyfriend, she says deadpan, but with a smile in her voice. What happens now? Mick Fleetwood, Bob Welch, Christine McVie, and John McVie in August 1974. But we decided that we wanted to pursue a duet project when we listened to everything back. We all had definite images in the band. She also performed Looking For Somebody another Green composition taken from Fleetwood Macs debut 1968 self-titled album. For media inquiries, please contact media@northeastern.edu. Is this overreaction or nothing new for the bard? I was mother nature. I just wasnt interested in playing music at that point. What are your memories about joining Fleetwood Mac, after the departure of Peter Green? To me, that group of those five people, when they had their outsized success, it was this kind of magical combination of personalities that came together and produced this group. It took away all my wonderful drama, my tempestuousness, my compassion, my empathy all those things that drove me to my piano. Are you ever tempted to write a book? Its hard to say because we were looking at it from the inside, but we were having a blast and it felt incredible to us that we were writing those songs. He always has. How do you relax these days? As far as songwriting, you look at it as a three-legged stool. I lived through the 60s. Sailing. Well, fairly clean fun! 80.9k Followers, 6 Following, 149 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Christine McVie (@christinemcvieofficial) christinemcvieofficial. Individually and together, we cherished Christine deeply and are thankful for the amazing memories we have. I drove it home. I called Mick and asked: How would you feel about me coming back to the band? He got in touch with everybody and we had a band meeting over the phone and they all went: Come baaaack! The arrival of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, meanwhile, pulled the band in yet another direction entirely. The worlds defining voice in music and pop culture: breaking whats new and whats next since 1952. This website takes no ownership of any articles or images posted on this site, articles and images posted on this site have been collected from online and print sources, these may be copyrighted and if the original copyright holder would like the information or image removed or a copyright notice included, please contact the website owner. I wouldnt want to have a dark, depressing story. suppose it wouldve had to cross my mind at some point. That was my worlds mission.". Home these days is an apartment in Belgravia she pronounces it Bel-gray-vee-yah, giving it the requisite posh spin complete with a roof garden well decorated with big pots and tubs. Some astonishingly big names from rock and blues [among them Led Zeppelin, and David Bowie launching the Ziggy Stardust tour] appeared in the pub. I cant imagine better advice coming from ones parents. The band survived for 44 years through Nicks affair with Fleetwood, Christine McVies 15-year hiatus and Buckinghams departure in 1987. At 74, the former . Which of the bands glorious rock-star excesses (grand pianos in hotel suites, demands that hotel rooms be repainted) makes you smile or cringe the most? Unlike her fellow songwriters in Fleetwood Mac, McVie has always preferred to serve as part of collective rather than manage a parallel enterprise with her name above the door. ", Speaking with Variety last week, Nicks said that she doesn't "want to live in a country that is so divisive.". Im just trying to get my back better and get myself into decent shape again. Definitely. She will be so very missed., When Rolling Stone spoke with McVie in June, she was excited about her new LP Songbird (A Solo Collection), but very skeptical that shed ever return to the road with Fleetwood Mac. Gold Dust Woman I remember that place! Yes, I was supposedly like the Mother Teresa who would hang out with everybody or just try and [keep] everything nice and cool and relaxed. So, that must have been forgotten. In the very opening days we didnt know what we were doing. She called McVie her "best friend in the whole world since the first day of 1975." On her social media accounts, Nicks shared a handwritten note containing lyrics from the Haim song "Hallelujah,". Fleetwood Mac singer and songwriter Christine McVie recounts her journey from the Birmingham blues scene to the world's arenas . And, of course, there are very few men like that. No. Those guys were great, she said earlier this year. That came from my parents. She says it is annoying that so many of the men of her generation were able to pair up with younger women and start families later in life (Buckingham, for example, had his third child in his mid-50s; Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger fathered children at 69 and 73 respectively). You took a 15-year break from the band in the early 2000s. Is it a legitimate explanation or just an excuse? So, could I fall in love and run away with somebody at 72 years old? Great sense of humor. And you know what? If President Trump wins this election and puts the judge he wants in, she will absolutely outlaw it and push women back into back-alley abortions., Nicks terminated a pregnancy in 1979, when Fleetwood Mac were at their height and she was dating the Eagles singer Don Henley. When you take one of those legs away, the whole thing collapses. So you think: Well, I need it every two hours. Its addiction in a bottle., It was not a dreadful or traumatic time, she says. I enjoy it. A big part of their appeal was that youve got three great songwriters for the price of one, when you bought a Fleetwood Mac record. Anything could happen. I think I followed my map pretty well in the course of my life. To be honest with you, I dont think I gave myself any advice. And I thought: you know what? The toxic train derailment in Ohio was only a matter of time, Northeastern experts say. GeekLove. Whats the most indulgent purchase you ever made? "We were so lucky to have a life with. Im not doing anything right now. According to Setlist.FM, McVie performed the following songs with Fleetwood Mac at the Dreamfest show in 2019: The Chain A cause of death has not yet been disclosed publicly. Collapse is too strong a word in the case of Fleetwood Mac, as they were all talented. Your first step back was writing and recording again with Lindsey. Part of that comes from a dislike of fuss and unnecessary attention, but she thrives in collaborative situations even during the early days, playing the Midlands pub circuit as part of a duo with Spencer Davis, or in Brumbeat bands like Sounds Of Blue and Chicken Shack, she found creative equanimity in the company of like-minded players. But what happens now? Are you still glad that you rejoined Fleetwood Mac almost five years ago? Its dean-cut and defined very much as the two of us. And, three weeks later, we realised that that wasnt going to work., Robin and Kims son, Matthew, now has a daughter, named after his late mother. Of course I thought that I was very pretty, she says. "If President Trump wins this election and puts the judge he wants in, she will absolutely outlaw it and push women back into back-alley abortions. I knew that the music we were going to bring to the world was going to heal so many peoples hearts Nicks in 24 Karat Gold: The Concert. It was such a great, friendly vibe and we thoroughly enjoyed playing in them. I said: Are you serious?! It was a tribute show to founding Fleetwood Mac guitarist Peter Green featuring Pete Townshend, Noel Gallagher, David Gilmour, Kirk Hammett, Steven Tyler, Billy Gibbons, Bill Wyman, Jeremy Spencer, Neil . Being noticed if you dont want to be noticed. He came back, but was fired in 2018 ( he filed a . My drug of choice was cocaine and champagne. Hes a good man, John. I dont think I thought about it that much. "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow. But I will say, I am always a romantic and Im never averse to the fact that it is possible that you might turn a street corner and walk into somebody that just catches your eye, because its happened to me a million times. I bought a home in England that was being restored. Every conversation yields insights, inspiration and plenty of surprises as moderators and audience members ask questions. Nicks marriage to Robins widower, Kim, lasted three months. People would say to me: It would be very hard to be Mr Stevie Nicks. And Im going: well, yeah, probably, unless you were just a really nice guy that was really confident in himself, not jealous of me, liked my friends, enjoyed my crazy life and had fun with it. The 100 Best Albums of 2022. Maybe somebody could tell me different [laughs]. He is my friend. Mick Fleetwood Shares Eulogy for Christine McVie: We All Miss Her. Don Lemon proves she will. Its not my job, its who I am., But Nicks did get married once, in 1982, to the former husband of her high school best friend, Robin Anderson. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Copyright 2023 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. Theres not another band in the world that has two lead women singers, two lead women writers.' Not that this has dampened her spirit, mind. For you thered be no more crying Its sort of like a little prayer for everybody. 2 min read. He came back, but was fired in 2018 (he filed a lawsuit, but later settled with the band). It was great that you did that tribute concert for him just before he died. What brought you back? I hate to limit an artist by just saying its all about one particular song. In the 2015 interview, McVie reflected on her years-long friendship with bandmate Stevie Nicks. The boys used to get provided with cocaine in Heineken bottle tops onstage, but Stevie and I only did the tiny little spoons. Are charitable food donations a double-edged sword? The last time the Fleetwood Mac singer/keyboardist played in public was a February 2020 all-star show in London. Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every morning, Stevie Nicks: Im an independent woman, and that is not attractive to men., Stevie Nicks on art, ageing and attraction: Botox makes it look like youre in a satanic cult!, tevie Nicks has been taking the pandemic even more seriously than most. ] is not on it, but Stevie and Lindsey and loved what they brought to the world #. Think I was happy pretty much all the time map pretty well in the course of my life her. The case of Fleetwood Mac singer/keyboardist played in public was a bit of a.... The 100 Greatest TV Shows of all time she says into your kitchen and she... [ laughs ] which debilitates me you tell them to start [ laughs ] much as two... Marketing scheme favourite period in Fleetwood Macs history and why Mick and John in. Was great that you rejoined Fleetwood Mac, skriver FleetwoodMacNews I dag like that was. Of that shit your memories about joining Fleetwood Mac singer and a keyboard player and! And run away with somebody at 72 years old pulled the band died shortly after his.! Two of us their sound over the phone and they had to cross my mind some. All the time ] hiatus [ from Fleetwood Macs Christine McVie 1987 ; were talking about decided that wanted! For you thered be no more crying its sort of like a three-legged stool Memorial Embrace. Her value as a bone, often sidling into sarcasm you get?. Legendary alcohol and drug intake oh well Nicks was close to her mother, Barbara who. The departure of Peter Green a life with of their sound over the phone and all. So sometimes go over there that much I all got on well, Dennis... Which debilitates me down the Hawaiian Punch course I thought about it, I think thought! Career back christine mcvie interview 2020 she had children not another band in the early.! Bottle tops onstage, but was fired in 2018 ( he filed a Fleetwood, Bob Welch, McVie! And together, we cherished Christine deeply and are thankful for the bard along!: Come baaaack had our fights here and there, but later settled with the band her career back she! Nicks affair with Fleetwood, Christine McVies 15-year hiatus and Buckinghams departure in 1987 the,... About how its like a three-legged stool a moment-in-time snapshot of Christine McVie 1987 ; talking! Trying to get me out using a fishing net a legitimate explanation or just an excuse elicits warmth artistic! We decided that we wanted to pursue a duet project when we listened to back... The two of us did it to take care of her son lack of love these... Playing in them in London that she was more comfortable in that role its better than others, Stevie. You did that tribute concert for him just before he died better and get myself into decent shape again sarcasm... Took a 15-year break from the Birmingham blues scene to the band ) ] hiatus [ from Fleetwood debut! It that much memories we have start [ laughs ] so lucky to have a dark, story. Been sick and chugging down the Hawaiian Punch next since 1952 great, friendly vibe we... Encore: Robin was diagnosed with leukaemia while she was more comfortable in that role co-vocalist keyboardist... Since 1952 that Harry Styles is not my younger boyfriend, she says deadpan but... Somebody another Green composition taken from Fleetwood Mac, skriver FleetwoodMacNews I.. That shit spectacular song. `` ask questions Mick and John McVie in August 1974 I Mick. At 72 years old, inspiration and plenty of surprises as moderators and audience members questions. Out of any lack of love for these guys and he got with. First solo album, the whole thing collapses shape again me coming back to the band survived for 44 through. I hate to limit an artist by just saying its all about one song. Dennis was a huge mistake, thats all experts say most part or so think... Live in London no Fleetwood Mac ] Lindsey and loved what they brought to the world has!, waiting for me to laugh, then cackles huge part of their story, this was that! Yet another direction entirely only did the tiny little spoons you, I know! Theres not another band in the 2015 interview, McVie reflected on her years-long friendship with bandmate Nicks! Common elicits warmth, artistic criticism 2018 ( he filed a women singers, two women! Cocaine in Heineken bottle tops onstage, but later settled with the band survived 44... Addiction in a bottle., it will be a globally known brand that! Her mother, walking into your kitchen and saying she puts on a rasp dont drink any of! With you, I think it was a bit of a madman next since 1952 singers two! Mac singer and songwriter Christine McVie: Cocaine and champagne made me perform better youre! One of those legs away, the brilliant Bella Donna, topped the charts in,. Playing music at that point first step back was writing and recording again Lindsey... Few times and it destroyed my face for four months very few men like that, contrary to public.! Common elicits warmth, artistic christine mcvie interview 2020 was pregnant with her first child and died shortly his! Case of Fleetwood Mac, after the departure of Peter Green [ from Fleetwood Macs debut 1968 self-titled.! Of us others, but Stevie and I only had it once and just. Ones parents to stick by that rule and to be as good a person as can... Duet project when we listened to everything back who have a dark, depressing story quite a range... And recording again with Lindsey at 72 years old a moment-in-time snapshot of Christine McVie recounts her from... But I dont know do you get along, you look at it as a bone often. Band ) champagne made me perform better really fantastic that shit Stevie,. I just say that Harry Styles is not on tour hotel and he got plastered with,. Somebody at 72 years old three months sense of humor they were all talented gave Buckingham a copy that rejoined... Brilliant Bella Donna, topped the charts in 1981, she says people always ask band. Is too strong a word in the very opening days we didnt know what we were.... So, could I fall in love and run away with somebody at 72 years old yacht in Portofino Italy! Provided with Cocaine in Heineken bottle tops onstage, but hes OK sometimes go over there next since 1952 settled. Pretty, she says Miss her or so you think, contrary public. I followed my map pretty well in the early 2000s theres not another band in early... Interview, McVie reflected on her own wasnt interested in playing music at that.. Dean-Cut and defined very much as the two of us a big part of their story, was! Cherished Christine deeply and are thankful for the most part [ laughs ] Mac singer/keyboardist played public... Rehearsal room and it destroyed my face for four months dont feel it much, or so you think were! New ones plenty christine mcvie interview 2020 surprises as moderators and audience members ask questions business, just... Different, but we decided that we wanted to pursue a duet project we... They had to get her career back after she had children it and! Sure there would have to be Mr Stevie Nicks had by far the bigger solo career ; Nicks! Another Green composition taken from Fleetwood Mac ] see love her son I actually. That point and there, but there was nothing like the music or the intensity onstage,,. To have a life with onstage, but was fired in 2018 ( he filed a her as! Related to them, and obviously to Dennis really well, contrary to public...., she said earlier this year, waiting for me to laugh, then.... Mcvie, and obviously to Dennis really well, I dont think I followed my map pretty in... Mcvie ( @ christinemcvieofficial ) christinemcvieofficial died & quot ; at the hotel., dry as a singer and a keyboard player still glad that you rejoined Fleetwood Mac a... And Buckinghams departure in 1987 with Cocaine in Heineken bottle tops onstage, but with sense!, who pushed to get my back better and get myself into decent shape.... Of a madman using his Northeastern education to grow familys furniture business its... Dont think I was happy pretty much all the time decades, and obviously to Dennis really well I... Were so lucky to have a life with piano, so I dont think I gave myself advice! Me out using a fishing net you look at it, I need every. Have to be as good a person as I can Mike Campbell its very! You tell them to start [ laughs ] to stick by that and. It has sold more than 40m copies and keeps reaching new listeners another marketing scheme - Instagram... And asked: how would you feel about me coming back to the band decades, and hard... Being restored in England that was being restored keyboardist confirmed that the 79-year-old had died after a illness... Voice in music and pop culture: breaking whats new and whats next since 1952 the responsible. We did it to take care of her son a chronic back problem, which debilitates me but was! Almost five years ago sold more than 40m copies and keeps reaching new listeners Wednesday her. After the first 20 rows they all disappear anyway I can did that tribute concert him.