I might use melted chocolate instead of some of it next time (or maybe in addition to). I took the advice in the comments & only used 1tsp of baking soda. See you there! This looks AMAZING! It has now been marked as my absolute favorite fix for delicious chocolateness! There was way more batter than needed, and I baked the excess into a small loaf cake (hey, it gave me a sample to test, just in case it turned out poorly, which of course it didnt). My family, all connoisseurs of chocolate cake, fell in love with it. I am not smart enough to do this myself, but I want to adapt it to make a vanilla version (for a two layered cake). (Ps.I really like SO many recipes on your site!). I am a very experienced baker. I just made this for the second time (my 5 yr old requested it). Came out a bit dry and needed warming up to taste better when eating. Forever grateful for this recipe! Thanks for inspiring a Saturday morning bake, and letting me share my results! It was moist, fluffy, intensely chocolaty and delicious. Id probably start by swapping the cocoa by weight for flour, dark brown sugar for more white sugar, and you could use coconut oil, I bet, instead of olive oil, if you wish. And Im so glad you like the cake. I used a 913 Pyrex glass baking dish to make this twice and it was just fine. Learn from me!! Now Ill have to tweak the recipe, which is what I though SK was doing for me. Id like to make this cake in a 913 pan. Thanks! I dont need it until tomorrow so Ill probably let it dry upside down overnight, then frost it upside down and put berries in the center indentation. Theres really not a better place to tell everyone. bc hydro trades training centre; john dillinger children; jonathan davis cravath wedding; spelling connections grade 7 answer key unit 2; :) I didnt make the glaze since I was really craving something purely cakey, but Im going to give it a go next time if I want to leave out the corn syrup (dont feel like Id get the use out of a full bottle) is there anything else I should substitute, or can I safely just leave it out and keep the rest of the recipe as-is? (YMMV). Crazy cake has been one of my favorites since childhood. In a medium mixing bowl, blend EGGS and SUGAR on low speed until well-combined. It adds a depth of flavor and balances the sweetness perfectly. https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/chocolate-olive-oil-cake-more-book-tour/#comment-1361032 The kind of chocolate cake I like! I added more oil and pulled from the heat early. I love this recipe so much! Unfortunately, I no longer live in that area. I made this two nights ago for my family as a bundt cake (whilst in quarantine, Ive been doing quite a bit of baking and was eyeing this cake recipe for quite a while), and Im shocked. Any possible issues with using light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar? Im sure it will taste fine, but cant figure out why it didnt work today. I know that the chocolate used for chips is often formulated to hold its shape when melted and cooled, as in cookies, so Im not sure if this glaze depends on some aspect of that formulation or not. My only complaint is that the taste was a bit too cocoa powder-y for me. Thank you again and again. Hi, I was wondering if i could double the recipe and use a bigger pan to make this as a birthday cake. But then I thought about it and realized, I cant cook. Cant wait to make. Now its a hit with the whole family. She is dairy-free, but unfortunately, isnt a chocolate fan. But here someone had success :https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/chocolate-olive-oil-cake-more-book-tour/#comment-999574, Hi Deb, My family doesnt eat eggs which led me through many wacky cake recipes a-plenty. of cream cheese. Instructions. And sprinkles. Wanting to try it for the Jewish holidays this year. The second got a chocolate/peanut butter frosting which elevated the cake to outstanding. It tasted amazing and really hit the spot. Did everyone use only the amount listed? solidified in the first 30 seconds in the microwave. If its thin, it will bake much faster. Also have always wondered how on earth this cake WORKS. Im wondering if I need a pan with higher sides and less baking soda. Very interested in trying the olive oil here. Maybe Ill just have to bake 2 of these, one with olive, one with coconut and see for meself, eh? I like very chocolately, rich chocolate cake that isnt too sweet and can stand on its own without needing to hide behind frosting. Like other bakers, my cake overflowed the 9 inch baking pan and took an additional 10 minutes to bake (45 minutes total). :). PS. For a less prominent flavor, I made the glaze in a double boiler and had no problems spreading it, so perhaps that may be easier to control than with the microwave method. It turned out GREAT! OK I am feeling like I have to make this and yes have all the ingredients EXCEPT I have light brown sugar, not dark brown. So moist and fudgy it almost stuck to the roof of my mouth like peanut butter. What would you recommend for baking time if I want to make cupcakes? Really, no vanilla? If you used gluten free flour there would be nothing in this to act as a binder. !.I have used both glaze and butter cream frosting! I made this without the glaze and it was excellent. Would love to make it again with more flavor, but I cant eat/drink coffee. Plain ginger tea comes to mind, as does a grocery store brand orange & spice tea I just finished a box of. I stumbled across it in a Moosewood Cookbook probably 16 years ago and its been my family everyday cake ever since! I have made this amazing cake many times, but I am just noticing that the cake calls for unsweetened cocoa, and frosting just cocoa powder. Mine made way more than 12, I made 18 cupcakes, but the 18 min in the oven was spot on and super helpful! Thanks for your work, SK is my go to for recipes and inspiration. The cake ran over the edges of the pan, dripped down the sides and made a burnt mess in the oven. I have a bottle of hazlenut oil that might be interesting to try with this one. Asking because Im planning on making this 2 days before serving to take away for the weekend. I made it for Saturday night supper when my son and his girlfriend came over for dinner and game night. Hi! Oh yeah, team Wacky Cake here. I figured I already have many good chocolate cake recipes, I dont need this one. Helpful, I know. Very noticeable olive oil flavor from extra virgin oil, and the oil in the glaze is especially prominent. No idea if using stove top instead of microwave worked to keep it shiny?? The glaze was perfect texture and flavor. Me too! Thank you :), Ooh, thanks for the suggestion of the mascarpone cream from that other cake! (1) I weighed out my ingredients on a scale (thank you for including that in the instructions!) Thanks again! Im sorry it gave you trouble; its definitely not you thats experiencing dipping, although I hadnt in the times I made it. Lovely cake: deep, dark chocolate flavor, fine crumb, and moist as stated in the recipe. I used coffee rather than water, and I used one 8 round pan and one 3x5 mini pan. The mind reels. I also add chocolate chips to the batter, which gives it some nice melty nuggets. (I feel like Ive become a cliche). Had to do a fast rescue as Id tried to use my 9 springform pan, but was off on the parchment lining and it began to leak, so scraped all into my 8 square. BUT this morning? Greetings from Mrs Go Im excited for your tour! But I didnt make it with a 3-inch deep pan. The taste is ok, but Im super disappointed. (I used 1c coffee, 1/2c water.) 2) I used safflower oil because it is what we have the most of. Came out perfectly after 40 minutes. Totally easy to make (the only challenging part is flipping it from pan to rack to plate, because its so tender and delicate). (Cause there definitely will be a next time!). In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, vanilla, olive oil and water. I used a double dark cocoa from King Arthur- especially as the recipe read ANY kind of cocoa can be used. Also considering trying with almond flour for gluten free version. Some commenters said it tasted too oily and some said they could taste the olive oil. My husband and I say it all the time! Coconut oil will work for olive oil; wont work for corn syrup but the corn syrup is more of an extra. Step 2. It was exactly what we needed. So I am excited to try your extra-chocolate version with olive oil! candace nelson chocolate olive oil cake chef show recipe January 27, 2023 By brenner brothers bakery bellevue If not wine, maybe a strong tea that youd like Thanks for another awesome recipe! My glaze thickened slightly as Ive read others doing. For those of you cooking at elevation, I thought Id throw this in the pile. I havent tested it with rye flour, but I suspect a half-swap would be great. Thank you! I love this site and have never had a dud, but this cake did not work for me. What I love most about you and this site is that I can see your similar culinary stretches and taking chances, but instead of walking away in a huff forever, youll come back a month or year or five years later and keep tweaking. It looked terrible but was tasty! I made this a few weeks ago and it turned out great, as expected. I have regular table salt and I have coarse crystals sea salt. The texture of the cake was wonderful, and I didnt have the depression issue a lot of other people mentioned. I scraped a taste of the remains off the parchment paper with a spoon and was quite content after scraping the liner clean, but she cut a small slice and forced me to have some of that. I am making forbthe second time today, feeds a lot of people because its perfectly rich!! Light and fluffy the first day, denser and moister the second day, equally delicious both days. Sunk a bit in the center. I also look for it beginning to pull away from the side of the pan. My son, the super taster, declared this glaze to be the best glaze hes ever had on anything. 2. Being the intelligent young adult that he is, he said Of course not! Both times I made it with coffee instead of water. Also speaking of sugar, one of my friends (who is vegan) said that white sugar isnt always vegan because it might be refined using bone char. I mean a minute or two more than *35. Like your cupcakes. Now I really feel foolish: I went to my recipe file and lo and behold I DID reduce the baking soda to 1 tsp.! Im just making it over and over and over. Hes now grown out of those allergies, but it sure was a life-saver! Preheat an o Cant wait for your cookbook, Love from Columbus, OH, Hi again, Deb! Its delicious! Made it with the mascarpone whipped cream (from the red wine chocolate cake recipe) bc I wanted something creamy. I think it adds a nice touch. I made this last night. 1) I made it with gluten free flour. I also was so happy you mentioned Peg Bracken, Deb. I added a little orange zest to the glaze, and it worked really well with the subtle olive oil taste. It took longer than usual to bake. Okay three minutes left on oven timer so Ill stop. 2. Glad it worked for you. Another person also described the mix of brown sugar, coconut and butter mixture, broiled on the hot cake which is also delish! Cake flour used. However, this cake is very, very moist, so it might not be an issue. I did open the oven at 30 minutes when it was still very liquid (altitude means that everything takes longer to cook), and it sunk shortly after, so maybe that did it? Dont skip the parchment paper. Grease a 23cm/9in springform cake tin with a little oil and line the base with baking parchment. The cake turned out perfect despite the thin batter looking like chocolate water.no depression in the center, fully cooked at 40mins, and tasted wonderful. Ive been dabbling in smitten kitchen recipes for years and this is the first failed recipe Ive had! I would advise against it unless you have time to audition it because the crumb seems too fragile and loose to me; might not come out in one piece. The only thing I had to adjust was the baking time. made as directed Webcandace nelson chocolate olive oil cake candace nelson chocolate olive oil cake. Im at 6900 ft. Yay! I cut up some strawberries and tossed with a little sugar to serve with it, and its a big hit. Line bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper; butter sides of pan. It was crusty on the outer edge but I was still able to remove it from the pan; didnt glaze because it seemed like too much sweet for our book club gals, used a dusting of powdered sugar instead. All adults and kids could have one dessert and loved it. The kids loved it too and theyre very opinionated. Ill make it again tomorrow for my husband of 45 years . Step 3: Whisk in some of the sugar, then whisk in the egg yolks. My new fav chocolate cake! How wonderful! I made this twice with very different results! https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/chocolate-olive-oil-cake-more-book-tour/#comment-1371596. After I added the liquid to the dry ingredients, I accidentally over-mixed everything because I had lumps of brown sugar floating around the bottom of the bowl and I really wanted them to be mixed in. Jennifer. One bowl, as promised. I made Apple-Sharlottka-it turned out to be a dream. How do you think this would hold up as mini cupcakes? Hubs and I are excited to have an excuse for pre-birthday cake! Im still nursing my six-week-old who has possible food allergies so Im currently off both dairy and eggs. Let me just say, this is all pantry staples and I served this up for Sunday dinner, and it was truly delightful. I made this cake as well and it took 10 or so minutes longer to bake than the stated time in the recipe and even then, it was very moist, and more dense and fudgy than I expected I think with this cake it may be better to err on the side of baking over the stated time. For the 8 pan, I didnt add all the batter (had enough for 2 additional cupcakes). Im wanting to try to adapt this concept to a ginger bread cake. Its a small difference. It was just so easy and delicious. I do have to say that the cake had to bake for roughly 45-50 minutes before being ready, contrary to the 35 minutes in the recipe. Are there any precautionary measures I should take in regards to baking this chocolatey madness in a humid environment? Ive made this luscious cake many times. Im wondering if a little less baking soda (1 teaspoon vs. 1 1/2 teaspoons) might resolve this. Thanks for putting yourself out there and for not giving up. This is our go-to chocolate cake. If I want to bake this in a 9x3x5 loaf pan do you think I should bake for the same amount of time (30-35 mins.)? Because the batter I made was way more soupy than in any cake Ive ever made, and then although the cake seemed baked after about 34 minutes (springy, tester with a couple of crumbs on it), when I went to turn it out of the pan it made a huge mess, with all this gravy-like goop under the cake, which proceeded to slop all over my counter and floor. I do add an egg (reduce liquid by 1/4 cup) and I also used whole wheat pastry flour and I also add vanilla. Perfection regardless. 1 C strong coffee + 1/2 c water I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9 X 13 pan. As a vegan, THANK YOU for the perfect chocolate cake! Love and hugs! Do you have any high altitude recommendations? I am so happy I could cry. We actually froze half of this cake with the glaze for 3 or 4 months. Should have done 40, as its a tad under done. I was able to cover it up nicely with the chocolate frosting, though, you can barely tell. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, olive oil, vanilla and eggs. I made this as soon as I got home from work and tried itand didnt love it. Literally took 10 minutes to put together, including washing the bowl. Yay for Maplewood, Deb! I read the warnings of other commenters to use cupcake liners, foolishly ignored them, and regretted it. Overall, it was delicious with vanilla ice cream and this is definitely a keeper recipe. This will now be our go-to chocolate cake recipe, and the absence of eggs means its easy to adjust the quantity for different tins/occasions. Does the kind of cocoa powder matter for the glaze at all? Cake came out super good and icing even without corn syrup is really shiny. Hello, Will make again. Cheated and deflated. I definitely think you could with coconut oil. I just glazed it with a plain vanilla icing, and it was perfect. It was a hitagain! I made it again last night and it literally exploded all over my oven. I used plain Pompeian EVOO because that was what I had on hand. Literally, in pieces. The tops of mine domed and cracked significantly but I was leveling them to make a layer cake anyway so this was no trouble for me. So did my toddler! The center of the cake was depressed. The cake usually comes out well but usually is very moist almost to the point of seeming underdone. Yes! Adding to what Anon said Unlike King Arthurs measure-for-measure g-f flour or other cup-for-cup g-f flours, this blend contains no xanthan gum to act as a binder and stabilizer (to give the cake structure). It was too overwhelming to figure out how to substitute egg and dairy, and we had a lot of travel time in the last three years so I was away from my kitchen anyway. Dare I say it??) I used a mix of coffee and water as well as apple cider vinegar. Brush a 9-inch round cake pan with olive oil and line the bottom with parchment paper. So I dont typically have things fall unless I COMPLETELY forget about rising bread or something. Me too. Needed an extra 10 min in the oven. Both taste equally delicious. Ill be trying this recipe again, but a little different next time. The 2nd one was slightly warm as we were impatient, so the glaze pooled a bit at the bottom and was quite gooey when we ate it. Wondering if theres a way to tweak the glaze so it stays soft on day two? I assume this means I have overcooked it? I sprinkled some Maldon sea salt flakes over the ganache and one would never guess its vegan. Thanks so much! My batter was a little runny after mixing the ingredients, probably because I used the a measuring cup for measuring water (coffee) instead of going by millilitres. *This cake looks moist and decadent. Every time it was loved by family and guests. On the bright side, I also made Debs meatloaves with tomato glaze and browned butter mashed potatoes and they were divine. My sibling and I used to fight over who got to have the goo that was always left at the bottom of the cake pan. The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp so Id suggest trying a little less between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp. :). This cake is awesomely chocolate and so wonderfully moist yet somehow also light. Rave reviews all around. :) So GOOD. Fun to see your version posted here. Turned into a pasty (and not tasty) mess. Its easy! You have no idea how I have been jonesing for that perfect chocolate cake, and now its within reach. Both times the cooking time was a lot longer than the recipes 50 minutes the first and 36 minutes the second. It did not run over. I believe that in most cases, you want less sugar, less liquid, and less leavening to adjust for height but go with the experts at KA, not me in NYC. I made it with reg AP flour, baked the recipe in two 8 cake pans, which turned out v well. (A delicious chunk I promptly ate so no real tragedy, but FYI if this is for company.). Please advise :), First off, this is the first cake I baked ever! Today is Day 3 and Im wishing I had a slice left over for a post-breakfast, pre-lunch snack. (It dipped a wee bit in the middle, but no big deal.) Notes on cooking: * baked for 50 min; at 30, the top had just barely set and the cake was quite liquid. Hi Deb: I dont know if this message will reach you, but I would like to thank you for your contribution to our best Valentines Day ever, and Ive had the same boyfriend for 50 years! I think so especially if youve baked with it before. Bummed. My olive oil is very good quality so its pretty strong tasting and the flavor comes out in the finished product. Orange zest is a good idea, though! I used coffee instead of water and it was unbelievable. The batter came almost up to the brim. I used the weight measurements, as I always do but was wondering if you did and was wondering if they were off a bit? Did I do something wrong, or is it supposed to be like this? This cake is perfect for the very small celebration were having for my husbands bday. Im not sure I followed you wish to print the whole post including photos and comments? The results were perfect. Cocoa powder used was half Dutch half regular. Webkatherine noelle wyman; cape breton post obituaries 2022. location symbol text in word; list of female jockeys australia; mike conley house columbus ohio address Changes I often make: I add a layer of raspberry jam (strained of the seeds) between the cake base and the chocolate glaze and then a pile of fresh raspberries on the top in the middle, covered in powdered sugar. I made this cake for the third time this past weekend. I hate sifting so I barely ever sift anything, and didnt for this cake (also, Im a regular cocoa powder person, not Dutch process). Cant wait to try out yours. There are any number of decaf herbal teas that might complement chocolate nicely! I wonder what happened when you made it; are you at an altitude? It is DIVINE. Added the zest of one orange rubbed into the sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp of Penzeys apple pie spice (cinnamon blend & mace) to the cake, added 1 1/2 tsp of apple pie spice to the glaze. I delivered to my husbands office still warm. Just made this with dark cocoa and cold brewed coffee in place of water, stellar! almost as good as my moms recipe, and even easier! This helps with its integrity as well. The flavor of this cake was wonderful, but it did sink a lot, & I had to bake it about 15 minutes longer. WebHome. You just made two vegans very happy! I never have corn syrup in the house, so the first time I used Lyles Golden Syrup and the second time I used agave syrup. Definitely recommend the addition of coffee it gives it a good flavour without being overwhelming. not the best presentation. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. Do you think this recipe would work well as cupcakes? So I made it again. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/yule_log_15656, Thanks! Its one of the easiest and best recipes for chocolate cake, and it whips together very quickly. This is an awesome cake: huge flavor-to-effort ratio! This was great! Feb 27, 2020 - Sprinkles Founder Candace Nelson Shares Her Secret Recipe. Sorry you missed that! Were going to a barbecue with many kids and adults. Still needs the full 30 mins or a smidge more. Its so fast and I always have the ingredients on hand. Will make it again for sure. Let me tell you even that was DELICIOUS! Or would I not get the same result? I had no issues with a sinking cake, though it did take about 45 minutes to fully cook in my square 8 pan. Will make again and again. A friend made it for me and I loved it so much I asked about it and she gave me the recipe, I made it twice and loved it both times. I just made this. Thank you for sharing these. A whole aged Manchego bought in Spain is of the Costco price in the US! Thanks Deb! As others mentioned it did take longer to bake than the recipe indicated, I didnt keep track but it was probably around 45 mins. When I added the olive oil and brown sugar to the dry ingredients, there was no chance of whisking. The mixture was like mud and sawdust, and it took every bit of the coffee and vinegar to turn it into batter consistency. This looks PERFECT for me with all my stupid food issues and allergies! Yes it can be made with GF flours! Ooh! You suspect your wife/husband is lying to you. Let us know how that goes. It should be a hit with the grandkids. I believe its just a straight signing, unfortunately. I made Anna Del Contis olive oil and apple cake once and loved it. I was about to comment the same about the Moosewood recipe. Im vegan, theres a vegan recipe. Great payoff for fairly minimum effort. Greece will be the only country we go to. Forgetting the sugar doesnt seem to have done it any harm; its still moist and delicious. Im not sure. teaspoons vanilla extract. This cake sounds fabulous! Id love to see a Smitten Kitchen amazing version of that: a vegan white wine olive oil birthday cake for grownups. Maybe I should have added more dark brown sugar. I usually omit the corn syrup and sometimes swap it with honey when I dont necessarily need the cake to be vegan. Hi there! I made this twice over this past snowy weekend and it just didnt work. Next time I will have to try maybe 2 8 pans? It tasted great, no olive oil flavor. Hi Debbie, Its a small un-club (4 of us) but our cooking skills are seriously respected by our friends and family. I havent made them but would expect it to work just fine; same temperature, check in at 15 minutes. Because the Dutch-process cocoa is less acidic than normal cocoa, I used the smaller quantity of baking soda (1 teaspoon instead of 1.5). Why did mine come out a soupy mess??? Next time Ill use coffee too. is probably suffice. You can get them at Amazon, King Arthur Flour, and probably a number of other sites or stores. Dont think chocolate magic shells ever reached Northern Ireland, but I dont imagine thats the glaze Im after! Ive made it so many times over the past couple of years, so I thought Id comment on it to say thanks. It looks like the glaze loses its shine if it sits in the fridge overnight. There is a print icon that leads to a print template at the bottom of each recipe, where it says DO MORE: You can also click CTRL + P from any recipe post and it will take you to a streamlined print template. As always, thanks Deb. The only problem I had was with the glaze icing once it cooled. Used coconut flavored coffee which my husband could taste in the final result but I couldnt, and used apple cider vinegar. The glaze is lovely and makes it so indulgent. Remove from heat and add finely chopped dark chocolate. Also, it was very pretty! Ive made it many, many times and have yet to find anyone who doesnt give me the look when they hear olive oil, but then go on and on about how good it is. I make it with a broiled brown sugar, butter, coconut and nuts topping, and its like a super moist German chocolate cake. I cooked it 50 minutes and still it fell in the center and seems not fully baked. What would you suggest? So delicious for a last minute dessert to take to a dinner with friends. Thanks for the new ideas! Its not an ingredient I use and Im not keen on buying a bottle just for a Tablespoon of it in this recipe.. In college I worked in a restaurant where we made a couple of double sheet cakes of essentially this same recipe daily for sack lunches (plain oil, though). of xanthan gum. Thanks for all you do! Measure and sift the cocoa powder into a bowl or pitcher and Hopefully it tastes just as good after being refrigerated overnight! Plus, it set off the smoke detectors while my two little ones were in the bathtub (NOOOOO!) ;) Be sure to let it cool in the pan until the pan is not hot enough to burn you before you turn it out onto a cooling rack. Its the cake Ive made for 30+ years and now make with my grandsons! When I was a child my mom got a camping cookbook from Marlboro and a very similar cake recipe was in it. I left work early, speedwalking the entire way to Union Square, fearing I would be too late and all of the wrist bands would be gone only to be told by the (laughing) information desk attendant at Barnes and Noble that I had the wrong week. Helme. This was really good. A little orange zest too? The glaze was delicious, but never hardened up. Certainly no valley. Made tonight with leftover coffee I think that makes a difference. How can you make a chocolate cake with no eggs?? Im gonna try this version, though!! Made with La Colombe cold brew in place of water. This reminds me of the Olive Oil Chocolate Mousse recipe I just tried from Food 52. WebHeat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of 9-inch round cake pan with a fitted round of parchment paper and coat the bottoms and sides with nonstick cooking spray. I strongly recommend making it as is and using coffee instead of water! Fwiw, used California Olive Ranch Everyday EVOO as my oil and that worked great. It cracked badly when I went to slice the cake. I popped it in the microwave at work but dont have one at home I love the gooeyness of the glaze a day one. I used Hersheys special dark cocoa powder, which is a mix of both natural and Dutched, for both the cake and the glaze. Any idea if it can be made successfully with gluten free flour? https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/chocolate-olive-oil-cake-more-book-tour/#comment-991246